Recent Posts

Home >> Uncategorized >> Critical discourse analysis thesis

Critical discourse analysis thesis

Mar/Thu/2018 | Uncategorized

This thesis has been submitted in fulfilment of the requirements for a

Critical discourse analysis thesis

Order Your Own Writing Help Now -
Critical Discourse Analysis - BIBSYS Brage

baseball resume This is the baseball resume for Jack Harris of critical discourse analysis, San Antonio Texas. This is a fairly extensive resume and essay new mexico the family covered all the analysis bases (no pun intended). Dh Lawrence. Here they have individual statistics, covered hitting for average, hitting for power, speed, fielding and versatility, arm strength, work ethic #038; desire, awards, and most impressive of all, comments from discourse analysis thesis, coaches that Jack has competed against. Essay. They chose to include some medical information which is important for coaches to know and critical discourse analysis thesis while that may scare some coaches away, the family has noted that Jack has not missed a game in 3 years due to his condition. They concluded by providing the english regents full contact info for the family, the high school, the high school coach, and discourse the tournament select coach. There is one critical piece of information missing from this resume and that is essay, academic information. Jack has been diagnosed with Dyslexia and while he has been taking regular high school courses, his best efforts have not produced a high GPA or SAT score. That was a family decision, but had they chosen to include it, that information would have been neatly displayed similar to critical discourse analysis thesis the rest of the resume. Is this resume a little over the top? Perhaps, but the recruiting game is one that sometimes requires being over the top.

’03, Reagan High School, San Antonio, Texas. SS/OF, Throws Right, Bats Left, 5’11”, 180. High School stats through 24 games: Team: 18-6 overall, 10-2 in District 26-5A-largest classification in Texas. YEAR PA AB H BA Sgl Dbl Tpl HR TB Slug BB HP SAC OBE OBA R RBI K SB. Jack Harris – HITTING FOR AVERAGE. 2003 HS .500 (24 games) against 5A pitching, leads team in BA, BB, OBA.

2002 HS .453 (30 games) against 5A pitching, led team in BA, BB, OBA. 2001 Select . 582 (41 games) against top level select pitching. 2001 HS .467 (23 games) against 5A pitching, led team in BA, BB, OBA. 2001 .625 Junior Olympics, Tucson, Arizona. 2000 Select .589 (48 games) against top level select pitching. 2000 .619 Junior Olympics, Tucson, Arizona – top 10 of 1100 players.

Jack Harris – HITTING WITH POWER. 2003 HS 6 Homers, leads team in HR (7), Doubles (8), Triples (2), Slugging (1.016%) 2002 HS 5 Homers, led team in Slugging and Total Bases. 2001 HS 4 Homers, led team in Slugging and essays on lightness and darkness Total Base. Jack Harris – THROWING HEAT. Gun readings: 92mph from the OF, 91mph from critical, SS and adult writers contest up to 93mph from the analysis mound. On defense Jack throws a straight ball – with fingers coming straight down over leaf scholarship essay, the ball. On throws from the field there is critical discourse analysis, no tail or curve. His throws have good 12-6 backspin.

Jack Harris – EXCELLENT SPEED. Jack has been timed as low as 6.6 seconds in the 60. However, he is usually between 6.75 and 6.85 seconds. Jack Harris – VERSATILE IN THE FIELD. New Mexico. Although a natural Shortstop, Jack played Centerfield in 2001 and 2002 in critical analysis thesis, HS and leaf made one error in critical analysis thesis, 58 games. He has excellent range and english essay gets a good jump on critical thesis the ball. Some scouts were “projecting” Jack as a Middle Infielder – they said he didn’t have the 6.6 speed they were looking for at CF and he didn’t have enough power to play LF or RF. Instead of being “projected” as an infielder, Jack decided to “show” his skills in the infield. He moved to Shortstop for the 2003 season and leaf is playing very well. Discourse. He has great lateral range and english essay has a good backhand. His throws to analysis thesis 1st are very hard and thesis non verbal communication on-target.

Does Jack Work at His Game? Jack takes thousands of cuts and hundreds of grounders each week. In addition to high school practice, he works out on a ball field right outside his back door almost daily. Critical Discourse Thesis. His forearms are rock-solid and have been for several years. This is from swinging the essays bat – not from lifting weights. In preparation for the HS season, he usually hits 3-4,000 balls a month for 4 months – outdoors and in all temperatures and with wood. He has worked with many instructors. For the last two years he has seen Rocky Thompson (former Cub) for hitting and thesis Rob Swain (former Indian) for defense on non verbal communication a regular basis. They come to Jack’s home and critical analysis thesis give lessons to Jack as well as several other players.

Jack uses wood bats in his cage at home daily. He usually hits 3 buckets of 50 balls each evening. Jack has been to many wood bat tournaments and scholarship essay showcases and has plenty of critical thesis, pop off of wood bats. He has hit balls out of Tropicana Field (St. Wuthering On Lightness. Petersburg) and Minute Maid Park (Houston) in showcases using wood bats. Who knows?

However, his dad is critical discourse, 6’7” and his 21 year-old brother is paper, 6’2”. Jack came down with Type I Diabetes during his high school freshman season (March 2000). He takes insulin daily using an insulin pump. Critical. He checks his blood sugar regularly and watches what he eats. Jack has taken charge of the situation and is handling it very well.

He has never missed a game in the past 3 years because of diabetes. The only dh lawrence essay new mexico, games Jack has ever missed were 3 games at the start of the discourse 2002 HS season due to wuthering essays a broken toe. Jack signed with San Jacinto College in Houston on a full scholarship. San Jack is the discourse analysis thesis #1 ranked JUCO in the country and has a superb program. Although courted by printable love, many good programs, Jack has not signed with a D-1 program – yet. Teams making offers include: Houston, Baylor, Auburn, Alabama, Arizona, and New Mexico.

Does Jack Want to Play Pro Ball? Yes. And he wants to critical thesis take the fastest track to get him not just to pro ball but to the majors. The “fastest route” might be: 1) Go to San Jacinto and then sign a pro contract in 2004 or 2005, or. Essay. 2) Go to San Jac and then a D1 before signing a pro deal in 2006, or. 3) Go to a D1 before signing a professional contract in 2006, or. 4) Or it might mean signing a professional contract right out of HS in 2003. 2002 All-State, Outfield Texas HS Baseball Coaches Assn. * * Jack is on track to be named All-State for 3 years in a row in Texas 5A baseball. Only a few players have ever done that in Texas history. He is the only player in analysis thesis, the state in 2003 that can accomplish this.

2002 Team Texas, Sunbelt Junior Classic THSBCA, led team in RBIs. Printable Love Writing Paper. 2002 1st Team “Super Team” San Antonio Express-News. 2002 All-City, 5A OF, 1st Team San Antonio Express-News. 2002 1st Team All-District Outfield District 26-5A Coaches. Critical Discourse Thesis. 2003 Selected for the National Top Prospect Showcase at Tropicana Field by english regents essay, Perfect Game.

2002 Rated “Top 10” at critical discourse analysis thesis, the Team One Regional at LSU. Heights Essays. 2001 All-State, Outfield Texas HS Baseball Coaches Assn. Critical Thesis. 2001 All-City, 5A OF, 1st Team San Antonio Express-News. 2001 1st Team All-District Outfield District 26-5A Coaches. 2001 MVP U of Houston Select Camp/Tournament.

2002 “We have always liked Harris. We#8217;ve seen him much better than he showed at Tropicana. He did have some stitches put in his elbow while attending. Still he showed great bat speed and hitting ability and one of the writers strongest outfield arms at the event. He#8217;s just a natural hitter, very aggressive with great hitting ability. Discourse Analysis Thesis. He ran a 6.92, but we#8217;ve seen him run better. Definitely a top prospect! 91 from the printable writing paper OF” #8212; Perfect Game Report after PG National Top Prospect Showcase in Florida (June 2002) 2002 #8220;He is probably the toughest out in the city. He can hit to any field, go short ball or hit it out of the discourse analysis park. And he adjusts to any pitching.

You try your best to keep him off balance and not develop a pattern, or he will pick it up.#8221; #8212; Churchill HS Head Coach Hector Rodriguez (5-31-02 newspaper article) 2002 #8220;He#8217;s the best player in the district.#8221; #8212; MacArthur HS Head Coach Paul Lindy (5-31-02 newspaper article) In 2002 Jack went a combined 4 for 5 in two district games against MacArthur, including a homer and two doubles. He drove in six runs and scored five in a sweep of the district#8217;s second-place team. 2001 “I talked to Andy Ford at Perfect Game the other day and he spoke very highly of Jack#8217;s performance at the Baylor showcase. In fact, he thought Jack was probably the best pure hitter there.” #8212; Randy McLain, Ohio Thunder (2001) 2001 “Tough kid. Really wants to english regents play. Average hands w/good feet, has a 3rd base arm strength. Athletic. Swing is stiff, but has quick hands through the analysis zone. Has a lot of raw pop, just needs to essay new mexico clean up mechanics to create some looseness in swing.” #8212; (Midwest Prospects Showcase June 2001) Contact info for parents, high school, high school coach and summer/AAU coach all appeared below.

Sign up for the Varsityedge.com newsletter. The Making of a Student-Athlete is a 241-page guide in it#8217;s 17th edition for high school athletes, parents, coaches who wish to learn the complicated college athletic recruiting and application process. Whether you are a parent, a blue-chip athlete, an aspiring scholarship athlete, a walk-on prospect, a coach or guidance counselor wondering how you can help yourself or your players, The Making of a Student-Athlete will guide you through the thesis archaic world of the college selection and athletic recruiting process.

Custom Essay Order -
A CRITICAL DISCOURSE ANALYSIS OF CANADA - Bibliothque et

Help Johnny Scholarship - Homework Excuse Winner. The Help Johnny Scholarship was provided by discourse thesis, StudentScholarships.org, which provides Free Online Scholarship and Career Matching Services. Love Writing Paper! Since 2003, we have been dedicated to providing students timely updates on new scholarship programs. School: Gateway High School. Location: Aurora, Colorado. Schools of Interest: Drake University and University of New Mexico.

At first I was struggling with my homework and it took me hours to do. Then miraculously, the light bulb in analysis thesis my head flickered on and I got the answer. Then as soon as I started to celebrate and pat myself on the back, Kanye West broke in through the door out of nowhere and shunned me down. You don't deserve to + essay contest, get this homework right, Tommy does! Then he stole my homework and broke out the same way he came in. Analysis Thesis! And I can't believe Tommy is going to take credit for it. Other Homework Excuses: (No Particular Order) Well you see, my name is Big Johhny, the reason for my missing homework I will explain to thee. Walkin' down to school couldn't believe my eyes, Owl City was performing Fireflies. I got on adult + essay contest, a roof just to get the whole scoop, not apparent to my eyes there was someone in disguise.

We all watched on, there was someone picking pockets. I had my homework there right next to critical, my silver locket. I felt a little rustle, and my homework was gone, now I gotta hustle, slipped my Nike's on. As the pursuer I couldn't see his face, my homework's captor was going to win that race. As we turned the corner, he took a little spill, he dropped his lunch and it rolled down the hill. I looked at the bag, past the salami, what do I see, the regents, bag was labeled Tommy. I ate my homework because my teacher said it was a piece of cake. Like any other student, I do my homework on a standard sheet of loose leaf paper. This sheet of paper is an inducting solid with billions of electrons roaming around. The contrast between nuclei and electrons make up the physical properties of discourse thesis, this sheet of paper.

With the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, one can only observe either a particle's position, or its momentum and velocity as some electromagnetic wave -- one can NEVER observe both concurrently. Because the essay new mexico, homework particles are desired to be seen as visible light, we cannot locate the exact position of the homework -- it could be anywhere in one of the 11 dimensions of space and time! Now if we desire to locate the position of the critical discourse analysis thesis, homework, we will not be able to observe the visible light waves entering the paper, retina; therefore, it is impossible to locate my homework. Well teacher, I had done my homework but my mom was so proud that I had actually done it that she framed it and thesis hung it up on our living room wall. Tommy's answers to all the homework questions are so good that it would be a disservice to my fellow students to not allow him to share all of them! Last night when I was taking a break from my walk home I found an article online that said stress leads to many health problems.

Well, when I saw this the homework you assigned us troubled me because it was a very stressful bit of work you gave us. The article also said that relaxing would lengthen ones life. So I looked at the big picture and figured my general health was more important than a homework assignment in love paper the long run. I started working on the homework assignment, sir, but did not finish it because I was completing applications for college scholarships and didn't want to critical analysis thesis, miss the adult contest, deadlines. Sir, I know that no excuse may be acceptable and discourse analysis thesis I realize that I have not been responsible to printable love, meet the requirements of this class, but I do apologize and am prepared to accept whatever consequences you think are appropriate. It started around 500 BC, when the brilliant Hippocrates and Aristotle contemplated different ways to straighten teeth. In 1810, geniuses Kingsley and Farrar stumbled upon what we now call braces, repositioning teeth into smiles coveted by the Gods.

However, their hard work and diligence could not quench the overwhelming desire for my wonderful braces to discourse, become engaged in a death grip with our car's upholstery. Adult + Essay! While returning from school, my sister revealed the wittiest joke of the century. Engulfed in discourse laughter, I leaned forward to contain myself and the wires of heights, my esteemed metal work intertwined with the discourse, fine linen of the car seat. I writhed and dh lawrence essay wriggled, only entangling myself deeper. For hours I sat in that precarious predicament awaiting rescue. Devastated that my beautiful braces prevented me from the enjoyment of completing this magnificent assignment, I fell asleep, exhausted from the trials and tribulations of discourse thesis, my day.

This morning I was walking to school with my homework in hand. Thesis Communication! Suddenly, a small, yellow creature appeared before me. He tempted me with a plate of critical discourse analysis, green eggs and dh lawrence new mexico ham, but I sharply declined. Before I knew it, I was chased into a house, past a mouse, into critical, a box, past a fox, into a car, into a tree, into a train, in the dark, in the rain, past a goat, and into writing, a boat. I eventually accepted the plate of discourse, green eggs and heights essays on lightness ham, which was quite good, and grudgingly began walking to the school. I say grudgingly because when the small creature chased me into the rain my homework got soaked! I do hope that you'll forgive me for this fiasco and let me turn in my homework tomorrow. Johnny meant to critical analysis, bring his homework, The history paper he wrote, But yesterday, lying on the beach, We found an abandoned boat.

We looked it over and climbed inside, And it took us for a magic ride. To build the Trojan Horse. Taking Troy by essay new mexico, force. To perform with the discourse, Great Shakespeare. Antony and Cleopatra, Hamlet, and King Lear. Back to the USA.

We got there just in time. To witness the birth. Of Independence Day. Bent over to communication, sign, I realized it was already past nine. So away, we went, Back home again. But it was very late by then. He left his homework on the beach,

But on our trip, History firsthand. As a loyal servant to our environment, I felt that the homework needed to critical discourse analysis thesis, be recycled. Let's face it, in a world governed by the will of the majority, turning in today's homework would be considered conformist and myopic in perspective. Teacher, you should not view my actions as a sudden bout of forgetfulness or irresponsibility, but rather as a movement in the direction of new mexico, enlightenment. Yesterday, I finally envisioned the larger picture and realized that it is not one day's homework that defines a person but his/her outlook on the world. Therefore, instead of completing two problems, I dedicated my day to critical analysis, reaching out to others at the local food pantry. The expressions on the faces of thesis communication, each mouth I helped feed reminded me of the true reason people were put here on this Earth: to help others. Discourse! As Ghandi said, Be the change you want to see in the world. After I came home, my mom greeted me with a strenuous list of chores. I looked deep into her jaded eyes and thesis was about to tell her I had loads of homework when I realized that this was the critical, woman who birthed me, the reason for why I am alive and learning wisdom in your classroom.

To refuse her would have been to put my needs over hers. How could I do that when she has never put her needs over mine? I plead with you in respect, professor. Scholarship! Could you say no to your mother during times of critical discourse thesis, need and despair? I had to put this woman who bred me over dh lawrence new mexico myself. I choose to become the person you have always wanted me to be - selfless. And for that, I thank you. May the force be with us all. I know it sure was when I was vacuuming. Before I went home from school, I slathered on critical analysis thesis, a large amount of essay, hair beeswax to maintain my attractive image before I went out in discourse analysis public. As I was biking home, I heard an essay ear-splitting buzzing sound so I instantaneously turned around to distinguish it.

I was shocked to see a swarm of bees ready to harass me. Analysis! With all the energy I had, I biked as fast as I can until I lost control and hit a husky. The bike landed on my head, the bees swarmed my face, and the husky bit my arms. Due to this I was unable to read, think, or write properly in order to do my homework. As an excellent student, I cannot possibly submit work that is not completed with my best effort. I did not know how to tell you this, but I have no pencil's at my house on account of my family taking on this new kind of lifestyle. They have become environmentalist extremists, meaning they don't want anything in the house that was killed to be used. After they saw me take out my paper and pencil to start on regents, this miraculous homework assignment they immediately began tearing up the pieces in critical my face. Maybe if you gave me another chance sir, I could go and printable writing do all my work in the library and analysis turn it in later today.

I turned it in early to you two days ago. You don't remember because when you left your classroom you tripped and fell down all 3 flights of stairs and had a serious concussion. While I was rushing you to the hospital on my bike, all of your paper's flew out of your briefcase and into wuthering, the sewer. But I remember that you gave me an A. Wait, what are you doing out of the hospital? You shouldn't be here right now. The nurses are looking for you. How did you escape? Come on discourse analysis thesis, I am taking you back right now!

Well I stayed up late studying for my physics test instead of doing my homework. Grade checks are coming up and if I fail the test I'm ineligible for dh lawrence essay new mexico basketball. If I'm ineligible for basketball than we could lose games which would mean we would lose fans. If we lose fan support than we could lose sponsors for our programs. Critical Discourse Analysis! If we lost sponsors, than the wuthering essays on lightness, school would lose money, which means we would need to cut back on spending. We would lose more programs and by losing more programs we would lose even more sponsors! Eventually we would have to make staff cuts which would mean people would lose their jobs! Even you could lose your job! So, by not doing my homework and staying up to study for my physics test I saved the basketball team, the critical analysis, school's funding, and adult + essay contest even your job! Well, sir, I’ve noticed that you’ve been looking tired lately. You teachers do a lot, especially with the budget cuts.

I didn’t want to add to your heavy workload. I mean, it would just be plain rude to discourse analysis, bring a five page paper like Tommy did. So I left my homework at adult home, as a present to you. You’re welcome! What may seem inconceivable to such a professional teacher as yourself, comes with a perfectly good explanation. Your daily instruction has educated me so well that I know all the answers without writing them down. Noticeably, I pay attention to your intriguing lessons so well, and I feel that demonstrating my knowledge to the class would take away from the others who do not.

They definitely need the practice more than I. Critical Discourse Analysis! So if you value the welfare of your class as a whole, it would probably be better if you have someone else do it for you. Essay New Mexico! This information is classified so you can’t say anything for your own safety. I'm chairman of a corporation called Students League of Tarrying Homework (SLOTH), established in 1750. Students pay me and analysis some of the smartest people in the world (i.e. Scholarship! Bill Gates, Bill Nye, Barack Obama, and Barbara Walters) to do homework assignments. Analysis! We access school databases to get all assignments each month, and send encrypted codes in the mail disguised as magazine subscriptions. Last night I found out the League had been infiltrated. Bill Nye, jealous that he had to do homework back when he was in school, searched through the databases where he found all of regents essay, my homework assignments for the month, and entered the wrong code, causing all of the files to self-destruct.

A helicopter will be picking me up after school to go after him. This is why I don’t have my homework. I didn't finish the homework because on the board it reads October 25, 2010 Homework Due!! and critical that date hasn't come yet. I accidentally divided by regents, zero and my homework erupted into flames. I managed to save my house, but my homework did not make it.

I failed to do my homework because Tommy bullied me all day yesterday! He's laughing at me even now! He kept insisting that boys named Johnny are horrible at math and critical thesis so I suffered from stereotype threat. Thesis! Unable to focus on homework, I organized a study group to meet after school to review the lesson the homework was based on. I arrived at critical discourse analysis the library ready to study, but was shocked to see that Tommy was there!

He took my place in my own group! My so called friends said there was no more room. The cruel politics of thesis non verbal communication, high school never cease. Critical Analysis Thesis! I got home and looked in my backpack for heights essays my notes on the lesson and discourse thesis I couldn't find them!! All I found was a note that read Johnny, I stole your notes from class. You can fight me for them at the library. Sincerely, Tommy. Yesterday I saw a nice man with the sign says THE END IS HERE! So no one does their homework on the eve of the apocalypse.

I've recently converted to Daoism. One of Daoism's many concepts include Wu wei, which emphasizes that because nature works naturally, we as humans should take the same path and avoid performing any extra tasks other than what is natural, so doing homework is actually against wuthering heights essays on lightness and darkness, my religion. Well I was sitting in my room getting my homework on when all of a sudden there was an discourse analysis thesis obnoxious rumble in front of my house. I went outside to see what all the ruckus was about and leaf essay there was a biker gang on discourse, the front lawn. Dh Lawrence Essay New Mexico! I yelled get off my lawn you crazy hooligans.

The bikers did not take too kindly to this. I locked the door but the bikers burst through. I bolted to my room to protect my homework but before I could reach my room they grabbed me. As they circled around me the leader came forward speaking in a familiar voice. He was shorter than the rest.

He went on critical analysis, this rant about his evil plan to destroy me. He grabbed my homework, asked Do you know who I am? pulled off the mask and leaf scholarship it was Tommy. Well, you see. I happen to discourse analysis, have Selective Dyslexia Syndrome, and leaf I read the analysis thesis, date on essay, the board as October 52, 2010. I thought I had an critical discourse analysis thesis extra 30 days on the assignment!

So I decided to wuthering essays and darkness, put it off and work on my present to analysis thesis, you that I was going to finish somewhere around October 39, and give it to thesis, you then, because you are such a handsome teacher, so full of knowledge and understanding! You should be awarded the Generation's Best Global Teacher award! (I took the liberty of critical discourse, nominating you for it) Since I happened to get the wrong date, I'll have it to you by regents, either the end of the critical thesis, class or tomorrow? Thanks :) Its only a day late, if there is an infinite amount of time in the universe, then a day divided by infinity is nothing so its actually on time! Johnny wasn't able to do his math homework because he has a solar-powered calculator, and being that he lives in Seattle the non verbal, sun never showed up. He wasn't able to work out all the problems on paper because he didn't have enough time since he was on critical discourse analysis, such a tight schedule with rallying all night, supporting higher pay for printable love paper hard working teachers like you. While taking my binder from class, I ran into a stampeding herd of rushing students that uniformly marched to critical discourse analysis thesis, their cars to go home from an exhausted day. Essay! I could not fight the flow of traffic and critical analysis thesis through my persistent pushing, I lost grip of essay, my binder and watched it sweep away under the feet of my peers. Critical Discourse Thesis! Following both with my eyes and thesis communication feet I tried to run after it, watching it pursue a trail further and further away from me. Finally reaching the outskirts of the parking lot, I ran after it and was suddenly stopped in analysis my tracks as the stampeding students turned into vicious road raged cars trying to escape the campus. Within minutes, my binder becomes the very road in which my peers drove upon, and papers are shattered across the street like dust. My homework papers returned to nature in a more digestible form.

I'm sorry Sir, my Roomba ate it. Dh Lawrence Essay New Mexico! Well you see sir, each new day of my life is critical discourse analysis thesis, tarnished by essay, my constant need to complete the homework that you have assigned me. Critical Discourse Thesis! Last night in the midst of a mini existential crisis, I came to the conclusion that homework is the brick wall that has been hindering me from leaving the dusty confines of leaf essay, my desk and exploring the world. Rather than read about discourse analysis thesis, how others have made history, I have firmly resolved to inspire generations to essay, take a stance against homework. My clear disdain for homework has inspired me to lobby congressional leaders to realize that it is in the best interest of our nation’s trees to ban excessive homework, Generations from now, students will open their textbooks and read my story. To them I say, put down your text book, who needs history when you can make your own?

Well you see teacher, according to Quantum Physics on thesis, tracking the movement of particles that is essays, inherently random, my homework dematerialized when I wasn't looking and probably rematerialized somewhere into the unknown and the chances of retrieving it is critical analysis thesis, slim to wuthering heights essays and darkness, near impossible. What happened was that as I opened the critical, textbook to write down the problems, I saw the answers scrawled in the margins. I felt bad copying them onto my sheet, because I hadn't done the work and dh lawrence essay that would be cheating. I used my homework as a test subject for my Science Fair Project, the time machine. It should be here about this time tomorrow. I sneezed so hard last night that I knocked around my cerebrum and completely lost my short term memory. I didn't realize we had any homework until just now, I swear!

See I'm even wearing different socks because I couldn't figure out which one went with which this morning! My mom just started Weight Watchers and analysis thesis mistakenly shredded my homework paper instead of the 0 calorie Weight Watchers bread in her low fat breakfast casserole. The world is adult contest, difficult, and we children are physically weak and emotionally immature. Yet to maintain my integrity as a good student I am often forced to make hard decisions and to face overwhelming pressures that require wisdom and critical discourse maturity. However the and darkness, reason I did not turn in discourse thesis my homework is because like every teenager, I get distracted and essay I fail to do the things necessary for me to succeed at critical discourse thesis times. We are often naive and ignorant of the world and we often have no clear sense of the consequences of our actions.

Nonetheless, now I can be confident that beyond the present difficulties lies a glorious future, assured to me not because I took the easy way out but because I accepted challenges, made no excuses, and turned in my homework. Adult Writers + Essay! I don't have my homework because it was so good that someone stole it. My tutor took it home to make practice sheets. Sir, I'm not sure how anybody got the assignment. The light shines off your head so bright that I can’t even see the board. Although I profusely apologize for the lack of completion of the analysis, assignment that you have given me, I must reveal what precise happenings entailed this most grievous error. As you are well aware, I am unfailingly punctual in the completion of work which I have been tasked with, and, I assure you, that this work was completed by leaf essay, myself, and has simply been misplaced in a particular manner that makes recovery highly unlikely.

As you know, I was to discourse analysis thesis, have recently returned from an academic conference in England, however, upon arriving at Argleton, Lancanshire, England, I discovered the love writing paper, village itself lacked existence, and that my luggage, including my homework, had never arrived. And so, dear teacher, my homework was not eaten by anything so mundane as a dog, but by thesis, a nonexistent village in printable writing England. Teacher: Where's your homework? Johnny: I did not do it. Teacher: Why not? Johnny: “Well. . .homework IS work. . .right?” Teacher: “Yes, of course” Johnny: “Than it's illegal”

Teacher: “What?! How?” Johnny: “Child Labor Laws. Excuse me teacher but I must apologize for my irresponsibility, because there is critical, no excuse for me not having my homework. Excuses are tools of printable writing paper, incompetence which build monuments of nothingness, and those that specialize at using them are seldom good at anything else. I couldn't complete my homework last night because I suffered from a terrible bite. A rhyming bug jumped out of my mug and pulled at my skin with a small little tug.

I knew at that moment that I couldn't complete my work because there was a peculiar quirk. I just knew that I couldn't stop rhyming, and there never could have been poorer timing. My school work was at an all time peak, and the situation was looking bleak. I had Chemistry, English, and thesis Spanish to do, but I didn't know if I would pull through. Leaf Essay! I reached my final assignment by one in the morning, but what came next was without warning.

There was no word that rhymed with trigonometry, and analysis thesis that was a sign that was plain to see. Therefore, I came to your class with my homework incomplete, and I decided not to cheat. I couldn't do my homework because it was cloudy. I have a solar powered calculator. Yesterday I found myself in an interesting predicament.

Yes, really, just look at my face, I'm not lying. What, I look dishonest? Well, you mustn't be looking closely enough because I'm missing my favorite freckle, see? My left cheek is not symmetrical with my right and, according to the law of syllogism, if the + essay, features of my face are imbalanced, and my face is a definite part of my head, my head is imbalanced! I am surely suffering from a sharp decrease of cerebrospinal fluid, which puts my brain in analysis thesis danger of permanent damage should I subject it to activities as rigorous as homework assignments! You don't believe me? You must be ailing from the same condition as I am. you're missing a freckle, too! Tommy’s the only healthy one: he has an equal number of freckles on his face!

No wonder he hasn’t failed his scholarly duties! While watching television, a commercial caught my attention. Essay! It asked students of local schools to nominate their favorite teacher to be recognized for critical analysis their hard work and dedication to their students. Thesis Non Verbal Communication! I immediately thought of my favorite teacher! This teacher is kind and critical thesis nurturing and exemplifies what it means to writers, be a great teacher. I know from past experiences that this teacher is very patient and most importantly, understanding. This teacher is very knowledgeable about not only his subject but other subject matters as well. Thesis! I respect and look up to non verbal communication, this teacher quite a bit. Analysis! So after seeing the commercial, I didn't hesitate to begin writing the leaf, essay which would nominate this award worthy teacher of such accreditation. Critical Discourse Thesis! I didn't do my homework because I used my time writing a letter to nominate you for non verbal communication Teacher-of-the-Year.

I did my homework but I got in critical discourse analysis a fight with Tommy this morning because he said you weren't the best teacher ever. Contest! As I was defending your honor Tommy spit in my face and destroyed my homework. All I could salvage were these tiny shreds that he didn't set in flames. Critical Discourse! Sorry they are kind of essay, wet, I used them to discourse analysis thesis, wipe my tears. I'm truly sorry teacher for not doing my homework. However, yesterday my house was a crucial breaking point in the space-time continuum. Completion of communication, my homework within this junction would at best would improve my grade in this class, but at worst bring a total collapse to this localized region of critical discourse thesis, space and english regents time. I just couldn't take that risk.

For the good of the group, and critical analysis the future of the human race, I could not do my homework. I hope you understand the gravity of the love paper, situation and extend some manner of leniency. You see your just such a great teacher and I didn't want to add to critical analysis thesis, your workload, but in all seriousness I made my homework into thesis communication, a paper plane and it got hijacked so, there it is, that's why I didn't hand it in.

Order Essay from Experienced Writers with Ease -
Using Critical Discourse Analysis to Address the Gaps, Exclusions and

7 Ways to Perfect Your Writing #8220;Tone#8221; Do you obsess about the tone of your writing as you revise? You should. Tone is one of the most overlooked elements of critical discourse thesis writing. It can create interest, or kill it. It’s no wonder that so many of the leaf scholarship countless conversations I’ve had with writing students and colleagues have been about problems related to critical discourse analysis thesis, tone. A friend submitting a novel says the editors “don’t like the main character.” A nonfiction book on balancing a family and a career skirts the edge of whining. An agent turns down a query because she feels “too much distance from the heart of the story.” I scan the latest work of english regents essay a journalist friend who’s coming to dinner and find it meticulously sourced and well written, but grim in outlook. And of course any publication you want to write for will have its own tone, which it would be smart for you to try to match.

Notice how quietly all New Yorker profile pieces begin, while Utne Reader favors unconventional and unexpected viewpoints that challenge the status quo. What exactly do I mean by tone? That’s a good question, as there are many terms—mood, style, voice, cadence, inflection—used to critical discourse thesis, mean much the dh lawrence same thing. For now let’s agree that tone is the author’s attitude toward his subject: grave, amused, scientific, intimate, aggrieved, authoritative, whatever. Discourse. If you were a photographer, tone would be the way you light your subject. Regents. For dramatic shadows, lit from the side.

For a scary effect, from above. For romance, lit with candles. In a movie, tone is often conveyed with music—think of the thesis ominous score accompanying the girl swimming in shark-infested waters in Jaws. A writer doesn’t have a soundtrack or a strobe light to build the effect she wants. She has conflict, surprise, imagery, details, the love paper words she chooses, and the way she arranges them in thesis, sentences. Like the tone you use when you talk to somebody, tone in writing determines how a reader responds.

If the non verbal piece sounds angry, he gets nervous. If it’s wry and knowing, he settles in for an enjoyable read. If it’s dull, he leaves it on the train, half read. Thus, the wrong tone can derail an otherwise good piece. Thesis. I’m surprised how seldom writing students note this during our workshop discussions, as if it’s impolite to heights essays and darkness, admit that they’re made uncomfortable by analysis thesis, how much the narrator seems to hate her mother, or to say that their thoughts drifted elsewhere by the second page of the overly abstract piece about mindfulness in leaf scholarship essay, the workplace.

You can detect tone problems in your own work simply by noting where your attention wanders as you reread it. Or, better, by reading it aloud. When you’re ready to critical thesis, revise a piece, try reading it to someone else, or asking someone to read it to non verbal communication, you. You won’t have to search for awkward or boring or whiny parts—you’ll hear them. Some problems with tone are small and can be easily fixed during revision. Others might require a new approach to the piece as a whole. Let’s look at a few of the easiest and most effective ways to improve the tone of your writing.

1. AVOID A PREDICTABLE TREATMENT OF YOUR SUBJECT. In the first draft you write what people expect you to write—what you expect yourself to write. “I wanted a car.” The tone becomes predictable. Critical Analysis. Now, during your revision, go deeper. Seek out the harder truths. It’s in the second, third, fourth draft that you say something we don’t expect you to say, something even you didn’t expect you to say. When you get tired of being nice. “I wanted a car so I could drive out of english essay my marriage.” Surprise yourself, and you will surprise your reader. Similarly, you’ll want to avoid taking an overly emotional approach to an overly emotional subject. Think of the dry, reserved tone in which Joan Didion recalls the anguish of losing her husband in The Year of discourse Magical Thinking . What if she had wailed about thesis her loss? There would be nothing for critical thesis, us readers to do, even if the emotions being reported to printable writing, us were very sad. Analysis. (Note: If you’re having a hard time distancing yourself from the raw emotion of a personal subject, this may be a sign that you need to let time do its magic work. Essay. Frank McCourt said it took him years before he could detach from his anger toward his feckless father enough to give Angela’s Ashes its nonjudgmental tone. Critical Discourse Analysis Thesis. When something bad happens, of course we feel upset, even as if life has treated us unfairly—but that’s not a great place to write from.

Let the experience ripen in english regents essay, your memory until you’ve achieved the distance you need.) If your subject is inherently serious, try taking a lighter approach. What’s Your Poo Telling You? came to Chronicle Books as a serious examination of—well, you know. In that form, it might have sold a few thousand copies. The lighter treatment led to sales of hundreds of thesis thousands of copies. There’s no denying that titles with tone sell books: Consider My Miserable, Lonely Lesbian Pregnancy or Skinny Bitch . 2. Dh Lawrence Essay. KEEP TONE CONSISTENT FROM START TO FINISH.

Make sure your very first sentence establishes the tone you want. Look at the opening line of “The Lesson” by Toni Cade Bambara: Back in discourse analysis, the days when everyone was old and stupid or young and foolish and me and Sugar were the only ones just right, this lady moved on our block with nappy hair and proper speech and no makeup. In one sentence, you know who everybody is. Dh Lawrence Essay. Not only do you want to read on, but you want to know what else she’s written so you can get that, too. You will choose different tones for discourse thesis, different subjects, of dh lawrence essay new mexico course, just as you would dress differently for a date than for an interview. But stay away from changing tones within a piece. One minute you’re riffing comically on discourse thesis, Uncle Frank’s parade of girlfriends, and the next, the reader is caught chortling when you shift to Uncle Frank’s abuse of his daughter. English Regents. Or the thriller shifts from a slumped body in thesis, an alley to the detective’s girlfriend shopping for bridal gowns, and suddenly we’re in a romance. (Notice, by the way, how many genres actually have tone in essay, their names: thriller, romance, mystery, horror . Critical Analysis. …) Read your work looking for places where the tone fades or shifts.

Focus your revision there. If you reread a piece and decide that nothing works until the second page, why not simply start it there? The delete key is essay new mexico, your friend. The novelist Carolyn Chute told Writers Ask : “I write a lot of junk. Critical Discourse Analysis Thesis. On and on and on, all this junk. But every now and non verbal, then this dramatic moment happens, so I lift that out and put that aside. And then I write all this junk: They’re brushing their teeth, they’re sitting there, they’re looking around—you know. Then something will happen and I’ll pull that out. Discourse. Because those are the only strong things.” Read your work looking for places where your engagement wanes.

Boring is bad. Careful is thesis non verbal communication, right next to it. When it comes to discourse analysis thesis, tone, don’t try to fix the boring parts—toss them. You can’t fix boring. Leaf Scholarship Essay. Other places where the delete key comes in handy: Off-topic tangents. You know how it goes: You start out writing about the critical discourse analysis thesis president’s pooch, and by the homestretch you’re discoursing disdainfully on the state of our economy and regents, what a boob the president is—as if people are lining up to hear your thoughts on that. Stick to the subject at hand. Overemphasis on themes. Writing fiction? Don’t hit readers over the head with your own interpretation of the meaning of it all.

You provide the right detail—say, the wooden coffin—and they’ll supply the mortality of man. Resist the urge to critical discourse, overtly explain—it can come off as condescending or redundant. 4. Writing Paper. LET TENSION SUSTAIN TONE. Your piece, whatever it is, should be rife with conflict. It’s not enough to write an essay about how much you like to critical thesis, spend the day in adult + essay, bed. If nothing is stopping you from lazing around under the sheets, then you have no problem, and thus the piece has no tension—an essential element in sustaining any tone for the long haul.

If you find you’ve committed this mistake, whether in a fictional story or a true one, bring in someone with the opposite discourse analysis point of view (mothers are always good for this!). That’s why columnists so often reference their mates—to be the foil, the reasonable one, so the paper author isn’t ranting in a vacuum. Are you one of the many writers who blog? Unless you know tomorrow’s stock prices or are telling readers how to relight a furnace on thesis, a freezing day, it will be your voice, not the content, that draws them in. So you must sound like somebody.

This is leaf scholarship essay, true with other forms of personal writing, as well. Discourse Analysis. Resist the urge to come off as uncomplicated, reasonable or polite. If you’re expressing opinions, express them! (Note that this is a format where opinion is the writers contest point, not a tiresome add-on.) Don’t say that whether or not someone likes a particular film “seems to me a matter of sensibility and perspective.” We know that! Be in a mood. Discourse Analysis. Take a position. “Anyone who doesn’t like The Ruling Class should be cast into hell for all eternity.” Look for opportunities to bring a human voice into your work. There’s more sense of scholarship essay someone behind the words “I had a breast cut off” (Molly Ivins) than “I had a mastectomy.” 6. CONVEY TONE THROUGH DETAILS AND DESCRIPTIONS.

Consider the difference between “in October” and “under an October sky.” A description of scenery, however luscious, can tire the critical analysis reader if that’s all it is. Use the imagery to show us your character’s mood: A sad character will notice rotting houses and untended yards; a contented one will see picturesque shacks and gardens in a profuse state of scholarship essay nature. When adding details to enrich your writing, tone comes from being as specific as possible. Change “My husband committed suicide” to “My husband gassed himself in our Passat in critical discourse analysis thesis, the Austrian Alps.” I once taught a travel-writing class aboard a cruise up the Amazon, and sent passengers ashore to wuthering essays, a remote village with notebooks. One student, surprised and critical discourse analysis thesis, amused by the satellite dishes towering over the small huts, dubbed them “the flowers of the Amazon” in her resulting piece. Another, having overheard the heights essays on lightness song “The Air That I Breathe” on an antiquated village speaker, wrote, “The fact is you can hear the whole planet breathing while you’re here. As one Brazilian told me, it’s the critical analysis lung of the world.” Tone in dh lawrence essay, travel writing comes from such acute observations. In memoir or fiction, it comes also from offbeat character details, like this one from the critical memoir The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls: Dad was so sure a posse of non verbal communication federal investigators was on our trail that he smoked his unfiltered cigarettes from the wrong end. That way, he explained, he burned up the brand name, and if the people who were tracking us looked in his ashtray, they’d find unidentifiable butts instead of analysis thesis Pall Malls that could be traced to him.

The narrator here, it is safe to say, is not admiring the cunning of her father; the tone suggests she is old enough to worry about the writing folly of her parents. 7. LEARN TO RECOGNIZE BUILT-IN PROBLEMS WITH TONE. Critical Discourse. Everybody who’s ever been fired has sat down to write a book about it. But harping on the wrong that’s been done to thesis communication, you can make your readers uneasy. If they were seated next to you on critical discourse thesis, a plane, they’d be desperately longing to change seats.

Lawsuits, controversial issues, other people’s behavior, how overwhelmed you were by regents, the flood of wedding gifts, and what a chore it was to write all those thank-you notes: all such topics force you to work hard to overcome the critical analysis reader’s unease at smelling an agenda, or anger, or bragging. Heights Essays On Lightness. In these instances, to fix the tone, you have to fix the way you think about a given subject. Critical Discourse Thesis. You have to back off, calm down, see other points of view, maybe even take some responsibility for whatever happened. When writing about such delicate subjects, you must not let a negative tone take over by ascribing motives to people: You just tell what they did, and adult, let the reader read motive into it. You must write with forgiveness, understanding and humor. In some ways, this can be a payoff to examining your tone as you write: You change the writing, and the writing changes you. Analysis Thesis. But if you find this is not possible with your subject, don’t be afraid to scrap a project that you discover has inherent problems with tone.

You’ll be a better writer for english regents, it. 2 thoughts on “ 7 Ways to Perfect Your Writing #8220;Tone#8221; ” Very valuable and useful point to discourse analysis thesis, keep following. Its really a good guide to people like me who do. Writings at different places. Thanks a lot for essay, sharing this to the web community especially to the writing community.

Buy Essay Papers Here -
Final version of ma thesis - Doria

coffin business plan My Father's Shoes - Our Coffin Story, Pages 1 to critical analysis 25. Tristram Coffyn was born in 1609 in Brixton Parish, town of Plymouth, Devonshire, England and baptized March 11, 1610. He was the eldest child of Peter and Johanna Coffin. Coffyn's early years in England were during a very eventful time. Intellectual freedom was being claimed as a right for each individual. This period was during the reign of James I. Among the names of the day were William Shakespeare, Francis Bacon and Oliver Cromwell. It was a period when the Puritans were making large gains in the Parliament. Tristram had one younger brother, John and four sisters, Johanna, Deborah, Eunice and Mary. When Tristram was 19 his father Peter, died. His will was dated December 21, 1627 and was proved by paper, his widow Johanna on discourse analysis, March 13, 1628.

In the will it was declared that Tristram was to be provided for according to his degree and calling. Tristram was a farmer and therefore most likely took control of his fathers estate near Plymouth. Adult Writers + Essay. Two years later Tristram courted and wed Dionis Stevens, daughter of Robert Stevens of Brixton. Dionis Stevens was born in 1609 although other accounts say 1613. Shortly after their marriage, their first child Peter was born in 1631 followed by discourse thesis, their son Tristram Jr., born in 1632.

During the dh lawrence essay new mexico early 1630's England entered into a storm of conflict with the death of James I and the succession of Charles I. In 1638 the Scots took up arms against critical discourse the King. The Presbyterians took control of the Commons and this was followed by dh lawrence essay, an all out civil war in 1642. During this period of time Tristram and Dionis had two more children Elizabeth (d.o.b. unknown) and James born August 12, 1639. Discourse. Dionis was also pregnant with their fifth child. In 1640 Coffyn was selected as a Warden of Brixton Parish. Adult Contest. Shortly after in November 1640, he leased his farm that was located at Butlass. With the civil war closing in on his family and the wounding and eventual death eight days later of his brother John at Plymouth Fort, Tristram decided to critical discourse analysis thesis take his family, including his mother and two unwed sisters to safety in Colonial America. Tristram's friend Robert Clement was leaving for America shortly, aboard a small fleet of ships, some of which were owned by Clement. Tristram quickly put his affairs in order and non verbal, embarked on his journey with his family aboard Clement's ship named Hector Clement in the spring of 1642.

This proved to be the last time Coffyn was to see his home in critical, England. The crossing of the Atlantic took between 60 and 90 days before they arrived in Newburyport Massachusetts, during the essay summer of 1642. It was a mere twenty years since the pilgrims, aboard the Mayflower had landed at Plymouth. Critical Discourse Analysis Thesis. Shortly after their arrival, Tristram. secured living quarters for his family and started exploring up the Merrimack River with Robert Clement in search of a good location for scholarship essay a more permanent home. Critical. He arrived in a soon to be called settlement named Pentucket, now known as Haverhill Ma. The book The History of Haverhill by George Chase states that Clements son, Job Clements had already settled in the area a year earlier, if so, this could be the adult + essay contest reason that Coffyn and Clements chose this area. They found the area to discourse analysis have fertile soil with the necessary resources to build a farm, however, it was recorded that the large population of wolves were a problem with the flocks of sheep and a guard had to be posted at all times.

In 1641 there were only six homes built in regents essay, Pentucket. Tristram's group of settlers negotiated with the Indians for the property rights and critical discourse thesis, secured a large area for the sum of three pounds ten shillings. A copy of this deed is wuthering on lightness and darkness, still on record and bares witness to the signatures of Robert Clement and Tristram Coffyn, dated November 15, 1642. Not only is this the first record of the first Coffin immigrant in America, but it also indicates how Tristram spelled his surname, Coffyn, with a y instead of an i. It was also during this period that John, their youngest child fell ill and died. Dionis was also pregnant with their sixth child who was later named Deborah. She was born the critical first Coffin child in America, and the third child born in the tiny settlement but was destined for the same fate as the other newborns and died three weeks later. These deaths give evidence to the harsh conditions that the first immigrants must have encountered upon their arrival in love, the new world. Critical Discourse. The living conditions were primitive and unforgiving and many families suffered greatly. It was noted that Coffyn was the first white settler to plough land in the area, having made his own plough from materials at hand.

A few years after his arrival in Pentucket, his daughter Mary was born, becoming the first Coffin child to be born and survive to adulthood in America. Shortly after Coffyn's arrival, the settlement was threatened when Indian war parties decided to target the settlers homes. They wanted to halt the white invasion however they feared the firepower of the settlers muskets. The Indian plan was to send a small group to each of the settlers homes at dh lawrence essay new mexico, the same time and gain entrance to the houses by way of presenting goods for trade. Upon a predetermined signal, the Indians would jump the white men, cut their throats and ransack the house looking for weapons. What the Indians didn't know was that one of their members was a Colonial informant who revealed the plan to British intelligence and critical analysis thesis, the British soldiers, along with about love writing paper, forty settlers disarmed the Indians before they could set the plan in motion. After only a few years of farming in Pentucket, Tristram embarked on a new direction.

It would seem that not only was he a farmer, but he was also interested in expanding his business holdings. When the critical discourse thesis opportunity arose to operate a ferry back in Newbury, Tristram decided to move his family once again. The History of Newbury states that in 1644 Tristram Coffin Sr. is love paper, allowed to keep an Ordinary (Tavern) which consisted of selling wine and keeping a ferry and Inn on the Newbury side of the analysis Merrimack River. George Carr kept a ferry on the Salisbury side across from Carr Island. Tristram's ferry crossed from Newbury on the south side of the river, between Carr Island and Ram Island, over to the north side to the town of Salisbury. Thesis Communication. The ferry was most likely a tow ferry with oxen providing the power to pull the craft across the river, with his sons helping to load and disembark the passengers. Discourse. In the communication 1650's Tristram's eldest children began to expand their horizons with Peter leaving Newbury to go to Dover, New Hampshire, where he became involved in the lumber business along with holding a variety of public office positions. Tristram's daughter Elizabeth wed Stephen Greenleaf in 1651 and resided in critical, Newbury where the thesis non verbal couple eventually had ten children before Elizabeth's early death. Tristram Jr. Critical Thesis. married Judith Somerby in 1653 and became a weaver/tailor and Deacon of the dh lawrence essay new mexico First Parish of Newbury.

Tristram Jr. is also the person who brought the Coffin name to the old Coffin house in 1654, which still stands in Newbury, after housing over 240 years of Coffin descendants. In 1997, I visited Newbury and the Coffin house which is now a historical site owned by the SPNEA. The Coffin house is one of the earliest homes constructed of critical discourse wood still standing in New England. It is believed that the father, Tristram Sr., lived here shortly before moving to his new home in Nantucket. Scholarship. The house was originally much smaller than it appears today, with the oldest section being located at the back. Critical Analysis Thesis. In 1735 the first centennial of Newbury was celebrated by the town in the front yard of the Coffin house, under two gigantic elm trees. Inside, one is struck by the large fireplace located in the middle of the house, in a room referred to as the scholarship essay hall.

This is analysis thesis, where the cooking, dining and visiting took place. Above this area was the wuthering heights and darkness hall chamber, or sleeping chamber. When I visited the sleeping chamber, a large cradle lay on one side of the room. This was not for critical discourse thesis infants, but was for the elderly family members who were gently rocked to sleep. On some of the beams near the wuthering essays on lightness and darkness stairs were engravings carved in the beam, these were thought to ward off evil spirits.

Much of the family time in the house was spent reading the discourse analysis bible as this was an era of strong religious beliefs along with the threat of evil coming in the form of witches and devils. The last full time occupant of the thesis non verbal communication Coffin house was Lucy Coffin, who never married and lived to be 101 years old. After she died in 1893, a nephew used the house as a summer place until it was turned over to the SPNEA in 1921. A short distance from the Coffin house, stood the Coffyn's Tavern. The Tavern was operated mainly be Dionis, Tristram's wife, and it was called Coffyn's Ordinary. Not only did she serve the patrons but she was also responsible for making the critical thesis beverages of the scholarship essay day. This.

eventually led the Coffyns into analysis, confrontation with the law. Thesis Communication. The laws of 1645 stated clearly that every person licensed to keep an Ordinary (Tavern) shall always be provided with good wholesome beer of four bushels of discourse malt to the hogshead, which he shall not sell above two pence the thesis communication ale quart, on penalty of discourse forty shillings the first offence and for the second offence shall lose his licence. Dionis' ale was made with six bushels, giving it a kick that kept them coming back for more. For her troubles she increased the price by one pence and in turn had to stand before the court to defend her actions. Eventually the charge was dismissed, but word spread quickly through Newbury as to love where to go for a quality ale. According to the book Ould Newbury by John Currier, the discourse analysis Coffyns owned forty acres across from Carr Island. Leaf Scholarship. In later years the road to the Inn was known as Coffin Lane and was on the west side of present day Jefferson St. down by the Merrimack River. Toward the mid 1650's the ferry crossings were replaced by a floating bridge leaving Tristram little choice but to sell his property. Discourse. He moved across the writers river to critical Salisbury where records show his name on some documents as Commissioner of and darkness Salisbury.

It was during these years in discourse analysis, the late 1650's that the first plans to relocate his family to a more desirable location were first laid out. Depending on which source one would believe, there are many arguments that have been brought forward as to why Tristram decided to leave Massachusetts. All would have been valid arguments. It was true that the Puritan rule was harsh and prejudice against freedom of thesis non verbal choice both religiously and politically. It was also true that the desire to move to an area where fences were not needed for the livestock (that an Island would provide) would be of some benefit, mainly monetary. In the end, Tristram's will to keep his family together around him in a community outside of the smothering rules of the Puritans, and guarded by miles of ocean, could have been the driving factor behind his decision to locate to a new home. Analysis. In talking to his friends and neighbours he found he was not alone in his thinking. Others were also anxious to leave, many for thesis the same reasons as Coffyn. After a short time their ideas took shape and later after meetings, it was decided to form a group of associates to pursue matters further. The idea of common pastures and buildings were appealing to many, especially the farmers who were advancing in age. The back breaking life of critical maintaining a farm could now be shared among the group with common mills and labour supplied by the Indians.

How the Island of Nantucket, thirty miles off the essay south shore of Cape Cod ever came forth as a choice, is once again debatable. Some point out that the connection lies with Thomas Mayhew, the owner of Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard, was a cousin of one of the associates in Tristram's group, a man named Thomas Macy. Others think that Nantucket simply came up in discourse, a passing conversation and caught the groups imagination. At one meeting the decision was made to wuthering heights essays and darkness send Tristram Coffyn, possibly his son James, Edward Starbuck and cabin boy Isaac Coleman on a fact finding mission to meet with Mayhew and view Nantucket to assess its suitability as a home. Early in 1659 the critical analysis men set out for Edgartown in Martha's Vineyard, the writers contest home of critical discourse Thomas Mayhew. Thomas Mayhew came to wuthering heights essays New England before 1632 from Wiltshire England. By 1637 Mayhew was in critical discourse analysis, the town of Watertown, Massachusetts, where he was operating a grist mill. His. business enterprises were flourishing by the time the family of John Folger arrived in Watertown. Mayhew had a son named Thomas Jr. who was very religious.

Folger's son Peter was close to the same age as Thomas Jr. and the two became friends. They both shared an appetite for adventure, so when the opportunity came forth for the Mayhew's to purchase an Island named Nantucket, from the Earl of Stirling in 1641 for forty pounds, the adventure began. After seeing the Island it was concluded that Nantucket Island was too far off shore and that Martha's Vineyard would be a more suitable island to english regents essay inhabit, so shortly after Mayhew also bought Martha's Vineyard. Thomas Mayhew Jr. moved quickly to establish his home on Martha's Vineyard bringing Peter Folger along with him. His mission was to teach the Indians that inhabited the critical thesis Islands' Christianity.

Folger was to be a school master and surveyor. The work was quite successful and communication, the elder Mayhew came to join them in Edgartown. Discourse Analysis. In 1657 Thomas Jr. found it necessary to go to England to stimulate more financial support, however, his ship was lost in a gale on the crossing and he was never heard from non verbal again. Mayhew was devastated by the loss of his son, however he decided to continue with his son's mission. Folger on the other hand was looking for discourse thesis a change. His chance for change came in the form of a shallop sailing into the harbour at Edgartown with Tristram Coffyn on board.

It's interesting to note that this simple twist of fate with Coffyn arriving in Edgartown while Folger was searching for a new adventure, brought about one of the circumstances to writers + essay contest which American statesman, scientist and writer, Benjamin Franklin would later be born into. Forty years later, Folger's daughter, Abiah, of Nantucket, married Josiah Franklin, where in 1706 shortly after moving from Nantucket, gave birth to Benjamin Franklin. In turn this would make Tristram's new friend, Peter, Ben Franklin's grandfather. Tristram's preliminary discussions with Mayhew were favourable, however, Mayhew insisted that if Coffyn's group wanted to purchase Nantucket, the Indians on the Island would have to be included in critical discourse analysis, the negotiations. It was estimated that Nantucket had about 700 Narragansett Indians living in six villages, mostly on the east shore. Thesis Communication. Today, there is not a single Indian descendant living on the Island. The last Indian descendant died in discourse analysis, the 1850's, wiped out for the most part by white man diseases. Nantucket in Algonquin is interpreted as far away Island. Coffyn realized that without an interpreter he would have problems communicating with the non verbal Indians. To address this problem he enlisted the services of Peter Folger who was also a skilled Surveyor. Shortly thereafter, the discourse analysis thesis group left for the Island.

The Indians greeted them favourably and although their interpretation of purchasing land proved to scholarship be different than the white interpretation, they agreed on discourse analysis thesis, the idea. In later years the Indians were surprised to learn the meaning of trespassing, for in their culture no one ever owns property but instead they only had rights to live upon it, yet anyone could travel through it. The whites wouldn't allow this for fear of livestock disappearing. Shortly after achieving their goal, Coffyn and the rest headed back to Edgartown for further negotiations with Mayhew. Committed to carrying on with his lost son's mission, Mayhew had no real interest in Nantucket and therefore agreed to paper very reasonable terms for the purchase of the Island. The sale price of 30 pounds along with two beaver hats, one for him and discourse thesis, one for his wife, was a bargain especially if one considers that after owning the Island for close to twenty years Mayhew was selling it for ten pounds less than he bought it for. The beaver hats incidently were supposedly made by Tristram Coffyn's son, Tristram Jr. Today one can only speculate on the mood of the negotiations, but judging by the eventual results, Coffyn and Mayhew must have respected each other a great deal in order for things to have gone so smoothly. Mayhew did decide however to retain a one twentieth share of the venture so he could have a voice in how the Island affairs were being handled.

Coffin returned home to Salisbury to organize the essay purchase of critical Nantucket. Once there, his eight partners ratified the agreement with Mayhew and ten new partners and ten tenant inhabitants were admitted into the company. Half Share Owners. Tristram Coffin Jr. #9;The half share partners were tradesmen who were needed to help develop the settlement. Folger was the interpreter/surveyor who later became the miller. + Essay. Joseph Gardner was a shoemaker and analysis thesis, Nathaniel Holland was a tailor etc.

Some of the other half-share holders listed didn't join the group until the later years. #9;In the heights on lightness fall of 1659 before any formal deed was drawn up with the Indian leaders Wanackmamack and Nickanoose, James Coffin, Thomas Macy and family, Edward Starbuck and Isaac Coleman left Salisbury for Nantucket to take up residence. Macy was in trouble with the analysis Puritan judges for harbouring Quakers during a short rain storm. Nantucket was out of the Judge's legal realm, so rather than stay and face the leaf scholarship essay charges he decided that the sooner he could leave Salisbury the better it would be. Edward Starbuck was Macy's partner in the company and also his best friend.

He felt compelled to go with Macy and discourse analysis, the rest to see them through what was going to be a tough first winter. James Coffin age 19 went to watch over his father's interests and leaf scholarship, Isaac Coleman age 13 was probably just looking for adventure. The first winter on Nantucket proved to be one full of hardships. The crossing was reported to have been a rough one in which the tiny craft was almost lost. Analysis Thesis. During the new mexico first winter the Indians were said to have been most helpful in seeing to the needs of the first white settlers on the Island.

In the spring of 1660 Edward Starbuck returned to Salisbury to update the thesis rest on the progress of Nantucket. Paper. The reports were favourable and others made preparations to relocate quickly. The freedom enjoyed in Nantucket, by being independent from the Massachusetts Bay Colony, was the lure that attracted many from Salisbury. But along with their freedom certain laws and regulations had to be drawn-up to discourse keep the new settlement from deteriorating. For instance one guideline was that Indian land could not be purchased by essay, any individual except for use by all its original purchasers. This would ensure a balanced ownership. The Colony of New York claimed jurisdiction over Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket and so it was with the discourse analysis thesis Governor of leaf scholarship essay New York, Francis Lovelace, that the Colony had to deal within terms of being recognized.

By the summer of 1661, records show that the meetings were now being held on Nantucket indicating that many of the settlers had made the move to the Island. Critical Thesis. The first concerns of adult + essay many were where their house lots would be located. At a town meeting held July 15, 1661 it was agreed upon that each owner would have the freedom to critical discourse analysis thesis choose his lot within limits not previously occupied. It was also decided that the lot size for each full share holder would be sixty rods square (a rod consisting of 16'6). It was also agreed that Tristram Coffyn would select first, in which he selected a lot on english regents, the north western coastline of the Island at a place known as Cappammet Harbour (today known as Capaum Pond). The original Nantucket record states Tristram Coffyn, Sr., had his house lot laid out at Cappammet, by analysis, the aforesaid lot layers, at Cappamet Harbour head, sixty rods square, or thereabouts, the east side line part of it bounded by the highway; the south side by a rock southward of the wuthering on lightness and darkness pond; the north by the harbour head; the west side bounded by critical thesis, the lot of Tristram Coffin Jr.

In the aftermath, once all was said and done, Tristram had succeeded with his wish to live out heights on lightness, his days in a free society surrounded by his friends and family. To his east side, across Cappamet Harbour was his son Peter, who didn't reside on the Island but was a frequent visitor seeing as he had secured the rights to supply the settlers with lumber for their homes. Critical Discourse Thesis. To the west was the lot of non verbal his son Tristram Jr., again not a full time resident but a frequent visitor. To the south laid the lots of his daughter Mary and her husband Nathaniel Starbuck. Mary and Nathaniel were very much a part of the Island's development. Critical Analysis. Mary owned the first store on the Island as well as being regarded in later life as a. spiritual leader, having embraced Quakerism. Mary and Nathaniel also had the honour of having the first white baby on essay new mexico, the Island during the early 1660's. Also to the south lay the lot of James Coffin.

After Tristram, James was the head of the analysis thesis Coffin interests on Nantucket. The first years of settlement consisted of building houses along with shelters for their livestock, mainly sheep and oxen, as well as developing pastures and common buildings. The Indians helped to develop the farms and taught the dh lawrence essay new mexico settlers a great deal about living on the Island. In turn they were given employment and some formal education. The first years were often regarded as the thesis best years upon Nantucket, in terms of creating a society that flowed in regents essay, harmony, where one could rely on their neighbours as though they were family. The great grandson of Thomas Macy would later write, The little community was kind and courteous to discourse thesis each other and hospitable to strangers. The prevalence of good feeling was remarked and felt by all who came among them. From the beginning Tristram Coffyn and Thomas Macy were the spokesmen for the settlement. In 1671 they were selected by the group to go to New York and printable, meet with Governor Lovelace and secure their claim to the Island.

Upon their return the Islanders nominated Coffyn to discourse be Chief Magistrate of Nantucket. The town also selected all other officers except the Chief Military Officer who was to be selected by Governor Lovelace from thesis non verbal communication nominees chosen by the settlement. After a few more years of harmony, or about the early 1670's the critical thesis first signs of trouble on the Island began to thesis non verbal communication appear. The problems came through the evolution of the two classes of settlers. On one hand they had the critical discourse full share owners and their partners, who by Nantucket law had two votes each. On the essay other hand the half share owners only had one vote resulting in critical discourse analysis, less of a say on Island affairs. They viewed themselves just as important as the full share settlers. The only thing missing for a revolt by the half share members was a leader. That changed in 1673 when it was decided that the community needed to english expand their fishing interests by critical analysis, enlisting the services of a skilled tradesman by the name of John Gardner of essay Salem, Massachusetts. Gardner was the discourse brother of full share owner Joseph Gardner. Essay. Right from the start John Gardner challenged the original owners on most issues and from this began the feud between the Gardners group and the Coffin group.

Another problem arising on the Island involved the Indians and liquor. Some of the white settlers were taking advantage of the Indians' ignorance regarding liquor consumption. Thesis. Laws had to eventually be implemented prohibiting the dh lawrence essay sale and consumption of alcohol to Indians. John Gardner often ignored these laws which escalated the tension on the Island. Discourse Thesis. Gardner also attempted to buy land from the Indians, however the final blow most probably resulted from a meeting Gardner set up with Gov. Lovelace's replacement, Governor Francis Andros. One of the requirements of the Islanders was to pay taxes to New York. This payment was met by giving the government barrels of fish. John Gardner convinced the settlers to let him deliver the payment.

While in New York, he met with Governor Andros and in leaf scholarship essay, turn convinced the Governor to name the main town in Nantucket, Sherborne, after his hometown back in England. Discourse. He then managed. to get himself appointed as Chief Military Officer. This all came about shortly before the Dutch takeover of New York. With the change in governments in New York, Gardners's group declared that past arrangements with the original settlers was no longer valid. The tension ran high for thesis non verbal communication a short period until the Dutch were run out of New York and the old government was reinstated.

Upon this action, Tristram and Mathew Mayhew, grandson of Thomas, once again sailed for New York and had their agreements with the government reinstated. In 1676 Thomas Mayhew became Chief Magistrate on Nantucket with Peter Coffin, a new resident on the Island becoming Assistant Magistrate. Peter and James Coffin had returned to the Island as a result of the conflict on the mainland between the Indians and the white settlers known as King Philip's War. Discourse Analysis Thesis. This appointment of Macy and the election of Peter Coffin infuriated the Gardner group. Not only love, was Peter a Coffin he also held government positions back in Dover and was not considered a full time resident of Nantucket. A few years later the tension eased with the elections of James Coffin, John Gardner and Nathaniel Starbuck who would all be elected as Assistant Magistrates. The feud continued toward the late 1670's in thesis, a period that would result in Tristram Coffyn being selected as Chief Magistrate by Governor Andros in the hopes of trying to pull the community back together. Coffyn was regarded by most of the settlers as the english essay one person who could rectify Nantucket's struggle with growth. Unfortunately, for everyone, a shipwreck on the Nantucket shoals diverted any plans that Tristram had for the Islanders. In September 1678 a French ship ran aground during a storm, forcing the crew to abandon ship. Shortly thereafter the cargo was salvaged by certain parties and sold for profit.

This action put Tristram, who was chief magistrate, in violation with maritime law which stated that the cargo should have been secured until claimed by discourse analysis thesis, the owner. In failing to do so, Tristram subjected himself to english regents be responsible for discourse analysis the lost cargo. The courts came down hard on non verbal, him with a stiff penalty which would ruin him financially. The action cast a dark cloud over Coffyn, who was now in critical discourse thesis, his early 70's. His family rallied to his side but the strain of the penalty along with the feuding years had worn him down. His son James made financial arrangements to pay the fine.

In the end, surprisingly, it was John Gardner, who had become the new Chief Magistrate of Nantucket, who stood up to the courts with a touching appeal on Coffyn's behalf. He convinced the courts to reduce the penalty substantially. When all was said and done what remained was Coffyn's ill health. The year was 1681, and autumn was closing in. Coffyn had made the arrangements that were to follow his death back in regents essay, 1678. He made no will but instead disposed of critical discourse analysis thesis his rather large estate through deeds to his family, mainly his youngest sons John and Stephen. To his numerous grandchildren, 60 in all, he granted 10 acres of land to each one upon the Coffyn's Island of Tuckernuck, off the west coast of Nantucket.

In 1681 Tristram owned two houses on his property, the first dwelling house he deeded to Stephen and the new house upon adult + essay, the hill was to go to John. His son Stephen was asked to care for their mother, Dionis up until her death. On October 3, 1681 Tristram Coffyn died, he was 72 years old at the time of his death. His funeral brought out all the Islanders including the Gardners to mourn his passing. It has been suggested that his old friend Edward Starbuck read from the bible and then Tristram's body was taken to a favourite location on his property and buried.

Through the years the discourse analysis thesis exact site of his grave has wandered from memory, however, the man himself lives on in each one of his descendants. In just forty years after his death his descendants numbered 1,138 born in America. In 1728 the number had increased to 1,582. All of english essay them descendants from one couple, Tristram and Dionis Coffyn. Stephen Coffyn cared for his mother up until her death which occurred on November 6, 1684 in Nantucket.

The Children of Tristram and Dionis Coffyn: Honorable Peter Coffin was born in England in 1631. He was the first child of Tristram and Dionis. Discourse Analysis. Peter married Abigail Starbuck, daughter of Edward Starbuck. He resided in Dover, New Hampshire for a good portion of his life before moving his family to Nantucket. He later moved his family to Exeter, New Hampshire, where he became Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of essays and darkness New Hampshire and a member of the Governor's Council. The Coffin's had ten children including their son Jethro whose house is critical discourse analysis thesis, considered the oldest house still standing on Nantucket having been built in 1686. Tristram Coffin Jr. was born in England in 1632. Writing. He married Judith Somerby of Newbury, Massachusetts, in 1652. Tristram was a weaver and filled many notable positions on the Newbury Town Council.

He was named Deacon to critical analysis thesis the first Parish of Newbury. His house in Newbury is known as the and darkness Old Coffin House. Tristram Jr. and his wife Judith's graves are marked in the cemetery of the First Parish of critical discourse analysis Newbury which is located across the street from the Coffin house. Together they had ten children along with Judith's three children from her first marriage. Elizabeth Coffin was born in England in dh lawrence, 1634. She married Stephen Greenleaf in Newbury, Massachusetts, on November 13, 1651.

From this family the Greenleaf's of critical discourse New England have descended. Elizabeth died in 1678 at the age of 44. The Greenleafs had ten children. Hon. James Coffin was born in England in 1639. He married Mary Severance, daughter of John and essay, Abigail Severance of Salisbury, Massachusetts, in 1663. James was the critical thesis first settler to settle on Nantucket after the purchase. He later became a leading figure in Nantucket politics.

He served many terms as Chief magistrate on the Island. James and Mary had fourteen children with twelve surviving into scholarship essay, adulthood. John Coffin was born in England but died shortly after the crossing on October 30, 1642. Deborah Coffin was born two weeks after her brother's death and died three weeks later on. December 8, 1642. Mary Coffin was born in critical discourse analysis thesis, Haverhill, Massachusetts, in english regents essay, 1645 and married Nathaniel Starbuck at the age of 17. Mary was a most extraordinary woman. Not only did she raise a family of ten children but she operated the Island's first store. Her open mindedness gained her respect from everyone who knew her.

Later it was her interest in discourse thesis, Quakerism that laid the ground work for that particular religion on printable writing, the Island. Mary and Nathaniel held the distinction of having the first white child born on Nantucket. Mary died on November 13, 1717. Lieut. John Coffin was born in Massachusetts, on October 30, 1647, exactly five years to the day of the death of his brother John.

John married Deborah Austin daughter of Joseph and Sarah Austin. Analysis Thesis. Shortly after his father's death he moved to Martha's Vineyard, where he found employment as a blacksmith. Printable Writing. He died in Edgartown in 1711, where today one can still locate his tombstone. Stephen Coffin was the last child born to Tristram and critical, Dionis Coffyn. He was born in Newbury, Massachusetts, in 1652. + Essay. He married Mary Bunker in 1668 and had ten children with Mary.

Stephen took over his father's estate on Nantucket where he lived out his life as a farm manager. He died on November 14, 1734. HONOURABLE JAMES COFFIN. Pioneer of Nantucket Law and Order. James Coffin was born August 12, 1639, in Brixton, Devonshire, England. He was the fourth child of Tristram and Dionis Stevens Coffin. James was only three years old when his father immigrated to America.

The family first settled in Salisbury before heading down the critical thesis Merrimac River to Haverhill where after only a short time they relocated once more to scholarship the town of analysis thesis Newbury. Essay New Mexico. James' family operated a ferry on the south side of the Merrimac River. They also operated a Tavern/Inn which was located near the landing. During the 1650's with the discourse analysis older brothers and sisters going off in their own directions, James took over their responsibilities. Of the older children, it was James who was showing the most interest in scholarship essay, Nantucket. James' brothers had already established enterprises on the mainland and wanted to critical discourse analysis thesis remain there, however, they were willing to invest in the plan financially. James was only printable, twenty when the plans to investigate the Island came about. Depending on whose account of history one would study, James did go with his father on the voyage that took them to Nantucket for the first time. After negotiations with the Indians and Thomas Mayhew, the critical discourse analysis thesis Island became the property of the Salisbury group, with ten full share members and leaf scholarship, ten partners.

Thomas Macy, James Coffin, Edward Starbuck and Isaac Coleman proceeded quickly to inhabit the Island before the next winter. Edward Starbuck was a former resident of Dover N.H.. His daughter Abigail married Tristram Coffyn's son Peter. Starbuck had lived in Dover since 1643. In the 1640's he refused to join the discourse analysis church in the ordinance of baptism so he and the church parted company. In 1648 he was charged for regents essay disturbing the peace of the church. He apparently disapproved of the submersion of babies during baptism. Others had been tied to ox carts and discourse analysis, whipped for similar crimes, however, Starbuck got off with a lighter sentence but never again respected the regents essay Puritan rule. In the book Nantucket by W.O. Stevens, he states that the first white inhabitants on the Island spent their first winter on the western side of the Island near the critical discourse thesis area now known as Madaket.

The first few months on Nantucket were harsh ones for the newcomers seeing as they arrived in the fall with barely time to prepare for the winter. Adult Writers. Had the Indians not been so accommodating the critical new settlers would have found it hard to survive the winter. In the following spring, Starbuck headed back to Salisbury for a meeting with the owners. Soon after, Tristram came to the Island to scout out a good location for a home. After surveying the layout of the land they decided to build on wuthering essays on lightness and darkness, the back side of Capaum Harbour, on the north side of the Island. It's interesting to note why the small Capaum Harbour was more appealing to the settlers than the larger harbour to the east.

One can only speculate but it has been suggested that Capaum might have had fresh water springs running close to it. Tristram sailed back to. Salisbury to organize the discourse analysis thesis move while his son James stayed on, and with the heights on lightness help of two Indians, he built their first house overlooking Capaum Pond. During the following years, 1661 to 1664 the analysis flurry of wuthering traffic between the mainland and the Island increased as provisions and building materials made their way to their new found home. James on numerous occasions travelled back and forth from Nantucket to Salisbury as well as Nantucket to Dover.

James' interest in Salisbury might have laid with his desires to discourse thesis be close to a young woman named Mary Severance, daughter of John and Abigail Severance. While in Dover, James held property along the Cochecho River near his brother Peter. It is likely that James was involved with trade back to Nantucket during these years, mainly lumber and writers + essay, livestock. On December 3, 1663, James married Mary and the two moved to Nantucket where their first child James Jr. was born, however, shortly after James and his family moved off the Island back to Dover, New Hampshire. It was during this period that I feel James along with his brother Peter became interested in studying law. On March 10 1666, James was named as an arbitrator to settle disputes in the settlement along with five other members of the town. Brother Peter was already an established member of the community who owned large tracts of lands in what is now downtown Dover. Peter's land was on the south side of the analysis thesis Cochecho River, near the heights essays and darkness falls. Names such as Coffin Woods and discourse thesis, Coffin Orchard were common landmarks to the settlers. Peter also owned a mill on the Lamprey River as well as land by wuthering essays on lightness, the Cochecho Falls. Critical Discourse Analysis. Peter manufactured masts for communication the British navy and was paid by analysis thesis, grants of land in Dover.

Peter was also involved with erecting the meeting house which later became fortified to protect the settlers during the Indian uprisings. The fort was 100' square with a log wall and gate. It was situated on the mound of earth that is still seen today in an area that was called the neck. A brief history of Peter taken from the book Historical Memoranda of regents essay Ancient Dover states that Peter was a Selectman in 1660, the town treasurer by 1661, a member of the critical discourse jury of trials in 1666 and a lieutenant during King Philip's war. Writers Contest. In 1666 Peter was on a committee to fortify Portsmouth N.H. James was in Dover in 1668 through 1671, where he appears on church records and was made a freeman. James also appears on the lists of taxpayers for the Cochecho area as early as 1662. He was splitting his tax expenses with Robert Ewen and discourse analysis thesis, John Church during these years. In 1675 a bloody conflict broke out between the Colonies and the Indians, this was known as King Philip's War. Indians were attacking many settlers throughout the Colonial settlements, including some attacks in the Dover area.

It was during this time, that James decided to relocate his family to Nantucket for thesis their safety. His brother Peter was also forced to temporarily relocate his family to the Island after the Indians gave him a close call. In June of 1689, Peter's house was the target of an Indian raid. The Indians first sent a squaw to the locked gate seeking shelter for the night. During the night, while all were sleeping, she opened the critical thesis gate, letting the waiting war party in essay new mexico, and taking Peter's family prisoner. Word had spread in recent days that twenty-three settlers had been massacred by this war party. Once they captured Peter and his family the Indians marched them over to his son Tristram's home and threatened to kill the hostages unless the gates were open there.

Once inside, folklore states, Peter distracted the Indians by critical thesis, throwing handfuls of coins into the dirt and over the gate. The Indians scattered to collect the dh lawrence new mexico coins giving the discourse analysis hostages time to escape into the. Back in Nantucket, the Indians were aware of the war being waged on the mainland but despite pressure from other tribes, they decided to regents stay neutral. This decision was of great relief to the white inhabitants of the Island, seeing as they were badly outnumbered and out gunned. Nantucket only had about forty able bodied white men on the Island during this time, again giving us a clue that relations were good between the critical thesis two parties on the Island. John Gardner first came to Nantucket around 1673 from Salem Massachusettes.

He was a fisherman/mariner who was invited to Nantucket by his brother Richard, to help develop the Islands' fish trade. Printable Love Writing. From the very first meeting Gardner and Tristram Coffyn disagreed on most matters. Both being determined and proud men, they would not easily be swayed. Surprisingly, James had some sympathy for Gardners position, whereas his brother, Peter's dislike for the man was as strong as their father's. In the latter part of the 1670's it was often James and his sister Mary who would attempt to smooth over the bad feelings between the two groups. The tension never really ended until after Tristram Coffyn's death in 1681 and later, the marriage of a Gardner to a Coffin. In September 1678, a French ship's cargo of furs from the Colonial mainland, ran aground on the Nantucket shoals. James Coffin among others made matters worse by innocently asking permission from his father, who at the time was the thesis Chief Magistrate of Nantucket, to love paper remove the thesis cargo of two thousand furs from the shipwreck. Unfortunately for the Coffins the owner later came forward and wanted someone held accountable.

The burden of responsibility fell on Tristram Coffyn's shoulders. He was the Chief Magistrate of the essays on lightness Island and it was his responsibility by law to launch a salvage of any wrecks that ran aground on critical, the Island, and securing the contents until they could be claimed. Having failed to do so, the courts ordered Coffyn to pay the penalty of 343 pds., ten shillings. The harsh decision would have ruined Tristram Coffyn financially, and lay a deep financial burden upon the Coffin family. By the year 1681 the Coffins owned approximately one quarter of the Island, including. Tuckernuck Island off the west coast. Peter Coffin was constantly attacked for being a full share partner allowed to make important decisions, and yet he didn't live there as a full time resident. The bad blood between the Coffins and the Gardners was now really only between Peter Coffin and dh lawrence essay new mexico, John Gardner, so it must have been a topic of amusement for the Islanders when it was learned that Peter's son Jethro had fallen in love with Gardner's daughter Mary. To make matters worse for the two fathers, the two later decided to wed and discourse, reside in Nantucket. It was decided in 1686 that John Gardner would supply the property for the newlywed's house while Peter Coffin was to supply the lumber from his mill. During the wedding ceremony Peter Coffin realized that the wuthering essays on lightness and darkness appropriate deed for the property had not been transferred to critical analysis thesis his son Jethro and so he stood up just prior to the wedding vows and exclaimed in a threatening tone that the dh lawrence essay wedding be put to a halt right then and there until the appropriate paper work was signed by all parties.

John Gardner assured Coffin that it would be taken care of as soon as possible but Coffin persisted until finally Gardner grudgingly had to get the papers in question and sign them and critical discourse analysis, only then did the wedding continue, much to the embarrassment of the bride and groom. Jethro Coffin's house was and still is scholarship, one of the focal points of Nantucket's history. Not only did it mark the discourse thesis end of the wuthering heights essays on lightness Coffin/ Gardner feud, but it still stands today as the oldest house still standing in Nantucket. Also, of interest, is the brick work on the houses' chimney, it has the pattern of an upside down horse shoe, inlayed into the brick. In the 1600s the settlers believed this would ward off witches and evil spirits from analysis thesis entering the home. It was also about this time in Nantucket's history that the first interest in whale catching was seen on the Island. Apparently one incident in the 1670's captured the imagination of some of the Island's more adventurous souls. One day a stray Scrag whale wandered into the harbour and dh lawrence essay, stayed there for three days. During this time the Islanders took it upon themselves to devise ways to capture and kill the whale which led to analysis thesis constructing the Island's first harpoon.

A few of the braver Islanders headed out and proceeded to harpoon the whale and drag it to shore. Although the regents essay ease with which the whale was caught stirred much excitement to continue the pursuit, it would be many more years until whaling became a serious industry. During the critical discourse analysis thesis 1690's James Coffin was appointed by the Islanders as their spokesman. He was elected by the town of Nantucket to be the first representative to the Great and General Court under the Royal Charter granted by William and Mary in 1691. He was also the representative sent to negotiate the printable love writing terms in which Nantucket would fall under the jurisdiction of Massachusettes instead of New York. Besides his political interests, James was also referred to critical as a successful trader.

To fulfil his trading commitments he had a 25 ton vessel built in Boston in 1696 which he named Dolphin. By the 1690's James and his wife, Mary had a family of fourteen children, all but two, Benjamin and Experience, lived into adulthood. Adult + Essay. It is widely accepted that a majority of Coffin descendants in North America can trace their roots through James Coffin. At most of the Coffin Reunions when the analysis thesis guests are asked to stand up to the son of Tristram in which they are descending from, James' representatives always out numbered any of the contest other sons' descendants. In the early 1690's John Gardner became the discourse thesis first Deputy of Nantucket to sit in the General Court of Massachusettes. After his term the position was held for the next two decades with only a few exceptions by James Coffin. One of Coffin's first acts was to request that the taxes of Nantucket be forfeited for one year, so the Island could build proper defences.

This act came about from an incident that happened on the Island at Madaket. A French privateer raided the Island, kidnapping two residents and attacking seven boats. James was also Judge of Probate from 1706 to 1718 retiring at the age of 78. A large majority of the courts work load dealt with Indian matters. Alcohol was forbidden to communication be sold to or consumed by the Indians but this law did little in the way to stop it from happening. Other issues dealt with petty theft and even the occasional murder.

Penalties ranged from fines and lashings for the minor crimes to discourse analysis imprisonment and execution for + essay the more serious matters. Discourse. The first records of printable love Probate Office were made during James Coffin's administration. Later in 1707 he became a representative in analysis thesis, the General Court until 1712. On July 28, 1720 James Coffin died in Nantucket at the age of 80. In 1881, Allen Coffin wrote in his book entitled The Coffin Family, From James Coffin have descended, perhaps, the most remarkable representatives of the Coffin family, as doubtless the most numerous and generally scattered. This family furnished the families of Boston who stayed loyal to the Crown during the Revolution. General John Coffin and Admiral Sir Isaac Coffin as well as the most distinguished woman which America produced, Lucretia Mott, all descend from wuthering essays James Coffin. James was buried in Nantucket, his wife Mary was most certainly buried there also, however her date of critical thesis death was never recorded. Children of James and Mary Coffin:

Mary Coffin was born in 1665 and married Richard Pinkham of Portsmouth and her second marriage was to english regents essay James Gardner, son of critical discourse Richard and wuthering, Sarah. James Coffin was born in critical analysis thesis, Nantucket on July 9, 1664. He married Love Gardner, daughter of Richard and Sarah. In 1692 he married Ruth Gardner, daughter of heights and darkness John and Priscilla. Nathaniel Coffin was born in Dover, New Hampshire in 1671. He married Demaris Gayer, daughter of William. Thesis. Nathaniel was a sea captain and great grandfather to Gen. + Essay Contest. John Coffin and Admiral Sir Isaac Coffin. Nathaniel died in 1720. John Coffin was born in critical discourse analysis thesis, Nantucket and married Hope Gardner, daughter of Richard and Sarah.

He died in 1747. Dinah Coffin was born in Nantucket and married her cousin Nathaniel Starbuck Jr. in 1690. She died in 1750. Deborah Coffin was born in Nantucket and regents, married George Bunker on October 10, 1695. She died in 1767. Ebenezer Coffin was born March 30, 1678 in Nantucket.

He married Eleanor Barnard on December 12, 1700. He died in critical thesis, 1730. Joseph Coffin was born in Nantucket on February 4, 1679. Joseph married Bethiah Macy. Joseph died in 1719. Elizabeth Coffin married Jonathan Bunker and her second marriage was to Thomas Clark. She died in Nantucket on March 30, 1769. Benjamin Coffin was born in 1683.

He was washed overboard and drowned between Nantucket and Martha's Vineyard when he was young. Ruth Coffin was born in Nantucket and regents, married Jospeh Gardner, son of Richard and Mary. She died in Nantucket in 1748. Abigail Coffin was born in Nantucket and critical analysis thesis, married Nathaniel Gardner, son of essay Richard and Sarah. She died March 15, 1713 in Nantucket. Her burial was the first in Gardners burial ground. Experience Coffin (yes they were running out of names) was born in Nantucket in the early 1690's.

She died in infancy. Jonathan Coffin was born in Nantucket on August 8, 1692. Critical Thesis. He married Hepzibah Harker in 1711. Jonathan died in 1773. The Early Years of the Whale Trade.

James Coffin was born July 9, 1664, on Nantucket Island. Printable Writing Paper. He was the critical discourse thesis first child of the Hon. James Coffin and wuthering on lightness and darkness, Mary Severance. The birth date of discourse thesis James is surrounded by controversy. Most records show his birth to be between 1667 and 1671, while his parents were living in Dover, New Hampshire. However, the new mexico Nantucket VR (P.R. 38) shows his birth as 09/05/1664. James grew up in a very large family, that eventually included seven sisters and six brothers, with James being the eldest.

Being of the second generation of settlers to the newly established colony, James was exposed to the hardships of developing the first farms on Nantucket. The sandy soil supported little in the way of discourse crops. They brought sheep to the Island, in hopes of essay exporting the wool to the mainland in exchange for critical discourse analysis thesis provisions needed to writers + essay contest support their colony. Critical Discourse Analysis. Although some farmers found some success with livestock, the herds of scrawny sheep were still not enough to support themselves. During these first few years, about 1665, James' father decided to move the dh lawrence new mexico family off the Island, to Dover, New Hampshire where he had land holdings from earlier years, however, with the discourse analysis thesis Indian uprisings during King Philip's War, in heights essays on lightness and darkness, the 1670's, the Coffin's moved back on to Nantucket to stay. They returned during the years of development in the fishing industry. John Gardner had been commissioned to develop the fish trade, while the discourse thesis rest were trying their best to develop productive farms. Both Peter Folger and leaf scholarship essay, Tristram Coffyn, James' grandfather, were said to have had productive grist mills which indicates that there was some evidence of success with farming, however if the colony was to thesis develop, more would have to be done.

What Nantucket lacked could probably be summed up in a few words; resources and spiritual direction. The initial goodwill was running thin. It was a time of squabbling between settlers. The full share holders were quarrelling with the half share holders. The Coffins feuded with the Gardners and the Indians were becoming disenchanted with the white settlers' rule. Upon Tristram Coffyn's death, the feud between Tristram and John Gardner slowly faded. Tristram's grandson, Jethro, married Gardner's daughter, Mary, and now James was showing interest in Love Gardner. In the late 1680's, James was the second Coffin to marry a Gardner. Love Gardner was born May 2, 1672 and writers + essay, was the daughter of Richard Gardner, one of the original settlers. James who was a farmer was thought to discourse analysis have had one child named Benoni with his wife. However, the child died in infancy.

Shortly after James' wife Love also died, although evidence is sketchy as to whether or not she died during child birth. Soon thereafter, James courted Love's cousin, Ruth. The Coffin House, Newbury, Mass. The Jethro Coffin House, Nantucket, Mass. Gardner, daughter of John Gardner.

On May 19, 1692, James and Ruth were married. At about the dh lawrence essay time that James and Ruth were married, a group of critical thesis Nantucket settlers atop of Folly House Hill were observing whales spouting a short distance off shore. One commented,There is a green pasture, where our children's grandchildren will go for bread. Thesis Non Verbal Communication. This isn't the first time that the Islanders had taken notice of the abundance of whales off their shores, nor was it even the begining of the New England whale trade, for whales had been captured for over fifty years upon the coast of Long Island and Cape Cod. In the 1670's a whale was captured for the first time in Nantucket, and later on the Islanders took it upon themselves to hire a whaler named James Loper from Cape Cod, to come to the Island to teach the ways of critical analysis whaling.

Up to that time whaling on Nantucket consisted of waiting until a dead whale carcass washed up on shore. All the Islanders would rush for their claim including the Indians. Other evidence of early whaling could be found in the inventory of the estate of Tristram Coffyn, who had died in 1681. It showed 45 lbs. of whale bone, valued at 10d. It is also thought that the Indians were the first to show interest in the large mammals. Leaf Scholarship Essay. The actual pursuit of whales on the Island was a slow but steady progression taught by the mainlanders and critical discourse analysis thesis, Indians over twenty years. They showed the settlers the ways in which a whale was to be approached to prevent the animal from getting frightened.

Men such as Loper, showed how to + essay extract the oil from the analysis carcass, and wuthering essays and darkness, where to thrust the harpoon. In 1690 the Islanders hired a whaler named Ichabod Paddock to help refine their new found trade and from this time on whaling quickly became the trade of choice for the young Island men. It was no accident that the discourse settlers took to whaling with such ease. The Colony could not survive without a profitable resource. English. Farming the sandy soil was not very productive, and their livestock were poor in critical discourse analysis thesis, quality. On the english other hand their offshore location placed them close to analysis thesis migrating whales and their harbour at Shelburne offered good protection for their boats from bad weather. In the beginning of heights essays on lightness shore whaling the Islanders divided the discourse analysis south shore of the Island into four equal parts, each consisting of three miles of shoreline. Each section was equipped with a hut and english regents, a mast along with a crew of discourse analysis five to six men. From the mast the signaller would spot the spray from love paper a spouting whale and critical discourse, the chase would begin. The men would rush to the beach and launch their boats into the surf rowing with all their might.

The signaller would stay behind to direct the boat toward their prey using signal flags. As the boat approached the whale the harpooner would drop his oars and ready himself for the kill. Once upon the whale the harpooner would thrust his harpoon into leaf essay, the animal for the capture, meanwhile the rowers would feverishly back paddle to escape any thrashing of the huge tail. Once the kill was completed they had the analysis thesis task of rowing the dead whale back to shore and land it on the beach. The whole hunt start to finish could take hours and needless to say the crew was exhausted by non verbal communication, the end of the hunt. Once successfully on shore they would start cutting the whale blubber into cubes and then used a process called trying out. This consisted of erecting large tripod kettle holders on the beach. They would set fires under the large kettles and boil the chunks of blubber down until the analysis thesis oil separated from the fibres. Then using large ladles they would scoop the oil into barrels and prepare it for shipment. Whale oil was being used in many places as a luminant and lubricant especially back in Europe.

The British were purchasing much of the printable love writing Colonial whale oil being shipped from Massachusetts, in turn much of Nantucket's whale oil was shipped off to Boston. James and Ruth's first child, George, was born in 1693. Thesis. In 1695 Sarah was born, followed by Nathan in 1696 and Elisha in 1699. During these years James was farming and taking care of livestock. The town meetings of March 19, 1707 recorded that James Jr. was appointed to take account of all fleeces at on lightness and darkness, ye time of critical analysis thesis sheering. The location of his farm was most probably near Capaum Pond, where his father Hon.

James Coffin had property. The sheep grazed on an open range with other farmers livestock, their ears were tagged for scholarship essay identification. During the critical discourse sheering, the atmosphere was festive and celebrated by most of the Islanders. With regards to the ocean trades the Coffin, Gardner, Starbuck, Hussey, Macy and thesis communication, Paddock families were in the forefront of Nantucket's beginnings with fishing and whaling, James' brothers, Nathaniel, Jonathan and Ebenezer were active in the trade during the 1690's and into the 1700's. Critical Thesis. James is dh lawrence essay new mexico, not on record as being involved as a mariner, but it is hard to believe that he was not, at least for critical discourse analysis thesis part of the season, after all he was married to Captain John Gardner's daughter Ruth, whose family were all fishermen. With the whale industry on the rise the town was gradually being shifted from thesis non verbal communication Capaum Harbour to Shelburne. The whale stations along the south coastline were now giving way to whaling sloops anchored in critical discourse analysis thesis, Nantucket harbour. These boats were relatively small, 20 to 30 tons and their numbers were few in the beginning. They would apply their trade just off the Nantucket coast. In 1702 a Quaker Missionary visited Nantucket from Rhode Island and a meeting for the curious resulted in their first converts. Mary Coffin Starbuck was the daughter of Tristram Coffyn and became one of the first Islanders to embrace Quakerism in 1704.

This was significant not only because of her ties with two of the Islands leading families, the Coffins and the Starbucks, but also because of essay her valued opinion by all who knew her. Mary owned the Islands's first store, as a result much of the gossip of the day fell onto her ears. Mary, always seeing the good side helped to resolve family problems for the various patrons who came to her store, in turn she gained the settlers respect. The significance of critical these first converts was that they helped to give the writers community a religious direction as a group. The Quaker faith was a left wing Puritan sect founded by George Fox in England in analysis thesis, 1650. Fox believed that a Ministry was not necessary in order to spread the beliefs of the bible. Instead, his followers believed that all men were equal and called themselves friends. Leaf. At their meetings they would gather in silence until someone in the room felt compelled to speak.

Their belief in critical discourse analysis, such things as refusing to remove their hats and the refusal to wage war got them into trouble everywhere they went. Many were imprisoned or. whipped and others were hung. The harsh Puritan rule of the english regents essay Colonies made laws against those who helped the Quakers in any way. These same laws were what the Islanders were fleeing from critical discourse analysis thesis when they first came to Nantucket fifty years earlier. Printable Writing. Some had even helped the Quakers, so it isn't hard to understand why the seeds of the critical thesis Quaker faith took root in the soil of Nantucket. Leaf. Most of the Islanders were already Christians of analysis different faiths, mainly Baptists, but the non verbal Quaker belief in analysis thesis, hard work and plain lifestyle seemed to be more suited to the settlers way of life on Nantucket. As mentioned earlier, what the thesis Islanders lacked was resources and direction, now with the ever increasing whale industry turning profitable, along with their Quaker beliefs in hard work, the thesis Island was beginning to pull away from the mainland's whale trade, in terms of productivity. Printable Love Writing Paper. It was recorded by many visitors that Nantucket was very different from the critical mainland regarding its flurry of activity and plain dress of its people.

It was called a marriage of religion and commerce. In the early 1700's the writer, Hector St. Wuthering Heights Essays. John de Crevecoeur, described how Islanders, the majority being Quakers, methodically trained their young in analysis, all aspects of the whale business. The children would enter school to learn to read and write and english, perfect their calculations. Discourse Thesis. Then at essay, age twelve, they would apprentice in trades such as barrel making and at fourteen they would go off to critical analysis thesis sea. While working on the sloops, they would be taught the art of navigation, along with the steps involved in love writing paper, whaling start to finish.

Upon numerous voyages and hunts the young mariners would then be called upon to fill various jobs in the industry. Discourse Analysis Thesis. And so, in just a short time, Nantucket went from meagre means to + essay prosperity with the best years yet to follow. During these years in discourse thesis, the early 1700's, James' father Hon. New Mexico. James Coffin was the Chief Magistrate on the Island. It is my belief that James, being the eldest son, must have in some part helped his father manage his land holdings and businesses. Discourse Analysis. It's known that James Sr. Wuthering Heights On Lightness And Darkness. had trading sloops going back and forth from the mainland. These sloops would have needed crews of up to critical thesis ten men, depending on the size.

Wool and whale oil would most likely have been the exports. In 1712 the whaling trade entered a new era, with the historic voyage of regents Captain Christopher Hussey. Hussey was whaling off the thesis shores of Nantucket when a gale blew him far out to sea. Adult + Essay Contest. Having survived the gale, Hussey was making his way back when he observed a whale of enormous size just off his bow. Discourse Thesis. With a good measure of courage, he attacked the whale and managed to be successful in killing the animal. The whale was not of the scragg or right species, but was a sperm whale. They found the oil to be of a much better quality, burning cleaner and essay, brighter and so began not only the pursuit of sperm whales by Nantucket whalemen, but also sea ventures further off shore than ever before. By 1715, Nantucket had six sloops engaged in the whale trade. Two of these vessels were owned by Coffins, the Nonsuch, 25 tons owned by James' brother Ebenezer and the Speedwell, 25 tons owned by James' son George. Two other Coffin vessels were the 25 ton Dolphin (possibly a whaling ship) and critical discourse, the large sloop Hope, 40 tons, owned by James' uncle Peter.

The Hope was a trading vessel. By the 1720's James' sons George, Nathan, Elisha and Joshua were all part of the whale trade along with his brothers Ebenezer and Jonathan. It was during these years that Nantucket's whale trade suffered its first tragedy with the loss of their first young men. On April 27, 1722, James and Ruth suffered the loss of their sons Elisha and Joshua. Shortly after their boat set out on a whale expedition of six weeks, Captain Elisha Coffin's ship was hit by a fierce gale, and their crew was never heard from again. The loss was devastating for the Islanders, it was Nantucket's first tragedy in the whale trade and it left many widows. Contest. Elisha's widow, Dinah, remarried three years later and became Dinah Williams. One other period that whalemen of the New England coast had to deal with, were pirates. Critical Thesis. Since the early 1600's pirates had preyed on wuthering and darkness, shipping on critical analysis, the west side of the Atlantic Ocean.

Most pirates were unemployed seamen and ex-navy sailors, who between wars found themselves with little to do with their time. English Essay. During wars, countries would hire them to attack the enemy, but most times they would wreak havoc on any easy target. Blackbeard, Captain Kidd and Ned Low, were just a few of the thieves of the analysis thesis sea who sailed in the waters of the North Atlantic. Low, was a particularly nasty animal, as Nathan Skiff, a Nantucket whaler could have attested to had he lived to tell his tale. In June of 1723, Skiff was in pursuit of wuthering essays on lightness and darkness whales about eighty miles off Nantucket, when Ned Low's ship spotted Skiff's sloop.

Low, who was described by critical discourse analysis thesis, his own crew as a maniac and brute, immediately chased down the whaling ship. Luckily for some of the whaling crew they were out in their small whale boats when the attack occurred and managed to escape to a distant ship. Captain Skiff was not so fortunate. Low ordered Skiff stripped and proceeded to whip the young Captain around the deck of the boat with a belt. Bored with this after awhile, Low then cut off Skiff's ears and seasoned them with salt and made Skiff eat them while Low's men were watching and howling with laughter. In the end, Low decided that because the Captain had been a good sport he should have a quick death. Skiff was shot in the head and his boat was sunk. The remaining crew were set adrift in a small boat with no water or food and left to perish. Little did Ned Low realize that the contest Nantucket boys were taught the art of navigation and shortly after the Pirate ship was out of sight and they simple returned to the Island. A few months later Low's men turned on him and set him adrift.

He was picked up by a passing naval ship and once recognized was tried and hung. James and Ruth had eleven children in all. Their last born was Benjamin born in 1718, Ruth was in critical analysis, her mid forties and James would have been in his late fifties. Non Verbal. Whether James embraced the Quaker faith is a question requiring more research, however, most of his children seem to have had connections to it. In the 1720's there were more than 1400 Coffin descendants from Tristram and Dionis with most living in the vicinity of Nantucket. Therefore, the records of analysis thesis who was who becomes somewhat confusing. Their given names give some clue as to their faith.

Names such as Elisha, Rebeka, Seth and paper, Uriah, are most certainly biblical names and most probably Quaker names, but it is hard to say what faith they were for sure. The 1720's and 1730's saw Nantucket prosper with every year. The whale trade was putting Nantucket at the forefront of critical discourse analysis whaling in Colonial America. By 1730, Nantucket had a fleet of 25 whaling boats varying in size from 30 to 50 tons. In 1726 records show Jonathan Coffin (James' brother), captured four whales.

James' son George captured one and Bartlett captured four. In all 86 whales were captured by Nantucket boats. Soon Nantucket could no longer supply the men needed to crew the boats and they recruited whalers from New York and Cape Cod. The prosperity continued on during the essay new mexico last years of James' life. James Coffin died August 2, 1741 on the Island. His wife Ruth died in Nantucket in 1748. Discourse Analysis Thesis. His will was probated on November 6, 1741. The Children of James and Ruth Coffin: Benoni Coffin was the writers + essay only child born to James and his first wife Love.

Records show he died young. George Coffin was born in 1693. He was the first child born to James and critical discourse thesis, Ruth. George was a whaler upon his own vessel. He married Ruth Swain in 1717. He died in 1727 at the age of 34.

Sarah Coffin was born in 1695, she married John Gardner's son Jeremiah in 1711 at essay new mexico, the age of 16. She died December 1, 1739. Nathan Coffin was born in 1696. He married Lydia Bunker, daughter of John and Elizabeth. Nathan was a sea captain. Analysis Thesis. He died December 11, 1768. Elisha Coffin was born 1699.

He married Dinah Bunker daughter of Peleg and Susanna. Essays. Elisha was a sea captain and a whaler. He was the first Nantucket whaleman to be lost at thesis, sea. He died on or about April 27/28, 1722. Joshua Coffin was born in 1701.

He married Pricilla Bunker daughter of Peleg and Susanna. He was lost at sea with his brother Elisha in 1722. Elizabeth Coffin was born in 1703. She married her cousin Josiah Coffin, son of Jethro and Mary of Jethro Coffin House fame. She died in 1774. Pricilla Coffin was born March 3, 1708. Essays And Darkness. She married Abel Gardner, son of Nathaniel and Abigail. She died April 27, 1792.

Mary Coffin was born May 29, 1710. Thesis. She married John Bunker son of thesis non verbal George and Deborah in 1725. She died on July 19, 1775. James Coffin was born April 10, 1713. He married Pricilla Rawson, daughter of Wilson and Margaret. He died April 11, 1784.

Ruth Coffin was born on January 17, 1716. Critical Discourse Analysis Thesis. She married her cousin Cromwell Coffin, son of Ebenezer and Eleanor. She died September 30, 1801. Benjamin Coffin was born November 16, 1718. His first marriage was to his cousin Rebecca Coffin, Daughter of Bartlett and Judith. Writers. His second marriage was to Hannah Bunker, daughter of Jabez and Hannah. He died on December 28, 1793. John Richardson's Meeting - Painting by Margaretta S. Hinchman.

from the collection of the critical Nantucket Historical Assn. There is something extremely painful in the destruction of a whale. yet the object of the adventure, the value of the prize, the joy of the capture, cannot be sacrificed to feelings of compassion. Capt. W. Scoresby 1820. Benjamin Coffin was born on Nantucket Island on printable writing, November 16, 1718. He was the youngest child of James and Ruth (Gardner) Coffin.

Benjamin's early years were during a time of financial and spiritual security on critical discourse, the Island. After years of struggle, the small community had found success with the english essay whale trade along with spiritual direction being given by the Quakers. Benjamin's great aunt, Mary Coffin Starbuck, had launched the discourse thesis faith of the Quakers on Nantucket, guiding the scholarship essay Islanders to a frugal, hard working lifestyle. Although the early years of Benjamin's life were good years for the Islanders, they were not without hardships. When he was only four, his family suffered the Island's first loss of analysis thesis life involving the whale trade, with the drowning of Benjamin's older brothers, Elisha and essay, Joshua during a violent storm.

Benjamin himself was named in honour of critical discourse thesis another drowning victim, his father's baby brother, who was washed overboard many years earlier, during a crossing from english Martha's Vineyard to Nantucket. The Nantucket boys learned early through these losses that the critical analysis thesis ocean demanded respect and through this respect came the foundation that eventually made the crews from the Island some of the wuthering heights bravest and skilled sailors in the world. Benjamin would have grown up surrounded by the whale trade. His brothers George, Nathan, Elisha and analysis, Joshua were all part of it, as well as many uncles and cousins, too numerous to name. By 1730 Nantucket had a whaling fleet of paper twenty five boats, all under fifty tons.

The yearly average of whales harvested between 1725 and 1730 was about seventy, with the critical analysis thesis Coffins accounting for a good many of the catch. Leaf Scholarship Essay. Many natives were employed by critical discourse thesis, the whale trade, however it is not totally clear if they were treated as equals. Judging by reports of unrest among the Indians, it's likely they were not always treated kindly. One report in 1738 tells of essay fears amongst the whites to leave Nantucket on critical discourse thesis, whaling expeditions due to rumours of the natives who were left behind plotting to kill the heights essays and darkness settlers and setting fires to their homes. This event never happened, however it gives a picture of bad relations between the two parties. Where Benjamin was living during his early years is a mystery.

His father James was a farmer, so therefore they wouldn't have been located in the town of Shelburne, but more likely to analysis thesis the west, back toward Capaum Harbour. During the second half of the 1730's, Benjamin was. courting a lady named Rebecca Coffin, daughter of Captain Bartlett and Judith (Bunker) Coffin. Rebecca's father, Bartlett, was a descendant of Hon. James Coffin's brother, Lt. John Coffin. In turn, this made Benjamin and Rebecca, second cousins through their fathers.

Rebecca's father, Captain Bartlett Coffin later commanded the whaling ships, Conway and Alliance, both of Nantucket. If by this time there were any thoughts that the Coffin blood was thinning in this line, due to outside the family marriages, they were put to rest, when on March 22, 1739, Benjamin and Rebecca were married. Rebecca came from a Quaker family, and through Rebecca, came the Quaker roots that would be carried on through this line of the Coffins for thesis communication the next generations. Quakers were only to discourse analysis marry other Quakers so the essay new mexico question was whether Benjamin was already a Quaker, or did his love for Rebecca convert him into being one. It is also worth mentioning at this point that Rebecca had two brothers, Uriah and Peleg, who would in critical analysis thesis, later years come with our Coffins to Nova Scotia. On March 21, 1740, just one day before their first anniversary, Rebecca gave birth to their son Elisha. The name Elisha derives from the old testament prophet Elisha (850B.C. - 795B.C.), but in this case, the name was almost certainly in honour of Benjamin's older brother, Elisha, who drowned at the age of twenty three. One year later, on February 21, 1741, their daughter Rebekah was born, followed by printable writing paper, Benjamin September 1, 1744, Luranna September 1, 1746, Susanna August 25, 1748, Eliakim 1761, Seth June 25, 1753, followed by thesis, Ruth and Bartlett born in 1755 and 1756. Benjamin worked in the whale trade but on which ship? It is probable that he worked for his father-in-law Captain Bartlett Coffin aboard one of his boats, or possibly he worked with his brothers on one of their numerous boats. One account has him listed as Captain Benjamin Coffin, however, I haven't been able to confirm this and his name is not listed on paper, the Captain's list in critical analysis thesis, the book The Coffin Family.

By 1740, the Spanish and adult writers contest, French privateers were once again attacking British ships, which included the Nantucket whale fleet. At a period of time when the whalers were venturing further and further from Nantucket, in pursuit of discourse sperm whales, they found themselves increasingly at risk from these hostile forces. On Lightness And Darkness. The mainlanders in Colonial America preferred to whale close to home, whereas the Nantucketers were venturing far north off the Grand Banks and Gulf of St. Lawrence region and south as far as the critical Bahama Banks. As the distance from home grew, so did the size of the whale ships. As ships got larger, they no longer had to return home once a whale was captured, they began the process of cutting up the huge catch on board the ships and storing the blubber in barrels below their decks, returning periodically to extract the english essay oil before the blubber spoiled. The early 1750's marked some important years for the whale trade. Critical Analysis. The discovery of the spermaceti candle by Benjamin Crabb of Rhode Island put the sperm whale oil in great demand, this along with the leaf essay introduction of tryworks aboard the whale ships put Nantucket at the forefront of Colonial whaling. The tryworks were brick furnaces placed on the deck of the analysis ships.

They.

Order Your Own Writing Help Now -
Final version of ma thesis - Doria

Institute for discourse analysis, Writing and Rhetoric. When you design a syllabus for any course, you begin with the outcomes that you intend for thesis, your students to achieve, and you work backwards from critical thesis, these to particular readings and essay writing assignments. This method, formalized, is called the method of backward design. Backward design is a useful method for any professor in that it ensures that all assignments, readings, and activities will connect students with the outcomes that the professor deems essential to the course. At the first stage of backward design, writing instructors should consider two issues: what they want their students to know/experience in their courses, and what they want them to be able to do, in these courses and afterwards. Put another way, instructors need to think both about their focusing questions and their course outcomes.

You'll note that the critical discourse analysis, first issue—what instructors want their students to know/experience—distinguishes between knowledge and experience. Indeed, this distinction is significant in a writing class, where course content (while important) does not drive the course. The best writing classes consider the students' experiential learning in their course design. To accomplish the aims of experiential learning, it's important to come up with a course question that can bring together the many smaller questions of the course and dh lawrence new mexico that can engage students intellectually and experientially. For instance: What is happiness? What are the roots of violence?

What is the nature of the self? Technology: friend or foe? These are the kinds of critical discourse thesis, questions that can focus course readings and wuthering and darkness class discussions. They are also the kinds of questions that students can engage with outside of the context of the writing classroom. Finally, they are the kinds of questions around which professors can build a course that is intellectually coherent. Even more important the the course questions, however, are the course outcomes—in other words, what students should be able to do when the course comes to an end. In the first-year writing classes, an instructor's set of outcomes will be informed by the course outcomes (see the outcomes for critical analysis thesis, Writing 2-3, Writing 5, or the First-Year Seminar). Take some time to review these outcomes, and to consider how every assignment and printable love writing paper classroom activity might work to help students achieve them.

As you design your assignments, you'll want first to determine the outcomes that each assignment will work to accomplish. If your aim is to ensure, for instance, that students learn how to shape good academic questions, you might ask them to discourse analysis thesis compose, share, and then revise their questions. If you want them to develop their research capabilities, have them take these questions to the library databases in order to on lightness and darkness look for appropriate sources. If you want to discourse analysis ensure that students learn how to work with sources, ask them to compose a summary and synthesis document, in which they nutshell their sources and show how these sources are in conversation with one another. Finally, if you want to dh lawrence ensure that they learn how to compose and revise, assign drafts and give them feedback. Have their peers offer feedback as well. Whatever you decide to assign, use the outcomes to guide you. Second, you'll want to scaffold your assignments, so that students can build on their capabilities. You'll see in the examples cited in the paragraph above that each assignment builds on the one before.

Students work on one step in the process and get feedback on it (from the instructor or their peers) before moving on to the next challenge. By scaffolding, instructors can be sure that students know how to successfully complete the final assignment. Students can also track the evolution and transfer of their skills. Third, writing instructors frequently comment that Dartmouth's ten-week term is critical discourse very short. Assignments must therefore be designed to wuthering and darkness achieve multiple outcomes. Consider the first step of the assignment sequence outlined above: Ask students to compose, share, and then revise their questions. Several outcomes are achieved here: students are composing, they are collaborating, and they are revising.

If you design your assignments to achieve multiple outcomes, you'll be surprised at how much your students can accomplish. Whatever assignments you design, do understand that simply making an assignment does not ensure that students will acquire the desired skills. For an assignment to succeed it should be transparent and progressive—that is, your students should understand your goals for the assignment, and they should be able to thesis chart their own development in relation to these goals. Dh Lawrence? The better students understand your assignments and discourse thesis your vision for regents essay, your course, the better they'll be able to meet the course aims. When designing your syllabus, you will want to consider carefully the spacing of your writing assignments. Discourse? It's important that students are given enough time to write and to adult revise their papers. Discourse Thesis? Professors who use a writing assistant will also want to be sure that they provide the writing assistant enough time to read and respond to students' papers. Here are some things to consider:

Give students time to move through the thesis non verbal communication, writing process. Discourse Thesis? If you are teaching a first-year course whose purpose is to make students able writers, you will have to give them time to move through the various inventions, composing, and revision processes. One way of leaf, making room for these various steps in the writing process is by assigning a paper in critical discourse analysis thesis, three parts: the pre-draft (which could consist of love paper, crafting questions, writing a discovery draft, creating an outline, and so on), the first draft, and the revised final draft. Give students time to revise. If we want our students to revise their papers substantively, we must give them adequate time. This means that we need to get their papers back on time, particularly the first drafts. Consider whether you'll need two days, four days, or a full week to return an assignment. Also consider whether or not you expect the student to see a writing assistant or to critical analysis meet with you between drafts. Try not to make a reading assignment on the day a major paper is due. Let your students focus their attention fully on their writing. Schedule writing workshops the day that a paper is due instead.

Long assignments (particularly those that involve research) work better if you break them up into smaller assignments. Ask students to bring in an annotated bibliography, a working thesis, an english essay outline, etc. Scheduling these shorter assignments ensures that students remain engaged in the writing process. It also prevents them from writing the paper at critical discourse analysis the last minute. Consider what's best for you. Many students and dh lawrence new mexico instructors like Monday due dates: students get the weekend to work on their papers, and professors keep their weekends free.

Other instructors prefer for papers to come in on Thursday or Friday, so that they can use the discourse analysis thesis, weekends to respond. Think of essays and darkness, your own rhythms as you plan. Professors often wonder, when creating writing assignments, how detailed the assignments should be. Some professors don't use prompts, requiring students to discourse come up with the english essay, topics and questions themselves. Critical Discourse Thesis? Others create detailed writing assignments, arguing that this allows students to save energy for writing their papers (as opposed to generating topics and questions). Still others craft writing prompts that offer students ideas for writing but that leave plenty of room for students to non verbal come up with ideas of critical discourse thesis, their own. Heights? We'll consider the options of prompting and not prompting here. The Open Writing Assignment.

Professors who don't use writing prompts believe that an critical analysis thesis important part of scholarship is wuthering essays learning to raise questions that will yield a good academic argument. Instead of creating a writing prompt, these professors craft an assignment process that supports students as they work through the various challenges of scholarly inquiry. In a sense, these professors are asking students to critical analysis craft their own prompts, and to leaf write the paper that will answer the questions that they outline there. The obvious pedagogical advantage of the critical analysis thesis, open assignment is that it allows students to learn to develop topics on their own. In the wuthering and darkness, open assignment, students are not only critical thesis permitted to adult writers + essay contest pursue intellectual questions that are of discourse thesis, interest to leaf scholarship them, they also gain some experience in framing a topic that is neither too narrow nor too broad. If you elect not to use prompts, you should intend to thesis devote class and conference time to assisting students in this process.

For instance, you might ask students to love come up with three good academic questions about the course's reading materials. Students can post these questions on the Canvas discussion board. You can then workshop these questions, using class time to talk about which questions will (or won't) yield a good academic argument, and why. You should also comment thoroughly on critical analysis thesis the questions submitted, raising further questions for the student to dh lawrence essay new mexico consider. You might also invite students to comment on one another's questions on critical analysis thesis the Canvas site. Students can then revise their questions and resubmit them for another round of feedback before they write. Some professors find it useful to offer students models of good academic questions.

Other professors give explicit instruction regarding what the paper shouldn't do and leave it to essay the students to determine what they want to do within these parameters. All professors ask students to submit their prompts in advance of drafting so that they can determine, before the students proceed too far, whether or not these topics are appropriate and discourse analysis thesis promising. Whatever you decide, do note that a prompt-less writing assignment needs a good infrastructure in order to leaf scholarship succeed. Indeed, Karen Gocsik's research assignment for critical discourse analysis, Writing 2-3 has twelve steps, indicating the many moments of support and feedback that first-year students require as they work through the process of english essay, writing a research paper Your assignment need not have twelve steps to be effective; it may have four steps, for instance, or five. Craft your assignment steps according to the aims of your assignment.

Writing a good prompt for a writing assignment is a difficult task. Too often, professors write prompts for writing assignments knowing exactly what sorts of essays they want their students to produce, only to get papers that miss the mark. How can you produce writing assignments that clearly convey the tasks and questions you want your students to thesis undertake? Before writing your prompts, you will want to consider a few matters. Consider what you want the assignment to require the students to non verbal do, in relation to the course outcomes. What outcomes are most important at this point in your course? How can the assignment move students closer to achieving these outcomes? Consider what you want the assignment to do, in thesis, terms of the larger questions of your course. What questions, in particular, do you want your students to consider?

Are these questions related closely or peripherally to wuthering and darkness topics you've been discussing in analysis thesis, class? Consider what kinds of english essay, thinking you want students to do. Do you want your students to define, illustrate, compare, analyze, or evaluate? You will want to come up with prompts that clearly direct students as to the kind of thinking they will have to do. Consider your students' writing processes. Are you focusing on teaching students to place their arguments within a larger conversation or context? If so, your prompt should address the importance of context and suggest things that you want students to consider as they write. Critical? Are you hoping to get your students to understand the mechanics of the leaf, paragraph?

Your prompt might ask students to write paragraphs that summarize, then analyze, then synthesize, so that they can see how different tasks require different paragraph development. If the paper involves research, consider outlining your research requirements in a way that educates students about the research process. You may want to require students to use a variety of sources, or to use certain sources that you've either put on reserve or listed in analysis thesis, the course syllabus. Understand that students may need help with finding sources, evaluating them, and incorporating them successfully into their arguments. Craft your prompt accordingly. Once you've determined the outcomes for your writing assignment, you're ready to writing craft the prompt. Here are some things to thesis consider: Break the on lightness, assignment down into discourse analysis specific tasks.

If, for example, you want students to compare the effectiveness of two political movements, you might first ask students to define the communication, goals of each movement; then to consider the critical discourse analysis thesis, history of each movement; then to discuss how the history of the movement affected the essay, creation of its goals; and finally, to consider how history influenced the movement's ultimate success (or failure). Break the assignment down into specific questions. For example, if you want students to discuss the formal elements of a particular painting, you might, as Art Historian Joy Kenseth does, ask the students: What is the focus of the painting? How does the artist treat such things as light and critical discourse shadow, line, space, and composition? How does this treatment communicate the painting's ideas? If you don't want students to answer all of the questions you put to them, but want them simply to consider these questions before writing their responses, make that clear. Provide context. A writing prompt that asks students to adult writers contest discuss whether or not the films of Leni Riefenstahl are propagandistic does not point students to the interesting controversy surrounding Riefenstahl's work. Nor does it indicate whether they should limit themselves to discussing the formal elements of critical analysis, Riefenstahl's films, or whether they should include biographical detail.

The more contextual information you give your students, the more precise their responses will be. Craft each sentence carefully. You will want to be sure that there is no room for misunderstanding the assignment. If you ask students to writing analyze how a myth informed paintings and sculptors during the first century of the Renaissance, do you want students to examine the works themselves or the thesis, artists that produced them? Sometimes a slip in new mexico, word choice or the careless placement of discourse analysis thesis, a modifier can leave students confused as to what, precisely, you are asking them to do.

Be clear about what you don't want. Non Verbal? If you don't want students to discuss Virginia Woolf's personal experiences as they relate to A Room of discourse analysis thesis, One's Own , then be sure to adult contest instruct them not to include biographical references. In addition, explaining why such information should be excluded will help students to understand better the questions and the desired response. Be clear about the paper requirements. Have you indicated the paper's due date? How many pages you require? How many sources you require? What special criteria (if any) you will use when grading this paper? If your requirements are rigid, say so.

If you're flexible, let the students know. This may be the aspect of the prompt that students are most anxious about, so offer as much detail as you think is necessary. Try to write (or at discourse analysis thesis least to outline) the assignment yourself. If you have trouble outlining a paper based on printable paper this prompt, your students will, too. You will want to think about ways of revising the assignment to make it clearer and critical discourse thesis more manageable.

Discuss the assignment with the writers + essay, class. When you distribute the analysis, assignment to the class, take time to go over it. Ask for their questions. Make notes as to where their understanding of the assignment differs from yours so that you can improve the prompt the next time you use it.